ArcGIS Pro Functionality Matrix

05-14-2020 07:51 AM
Labels (1)
SimonColeman1
New Contributor II

Esri creates (or created) an ArcGIS Desktop Functionality Matrix. There's an example here for ArcGIS 10.6.

You could use it to help decide which licence level you want to request, use, or buy.

I propose Esri provides an ArcGIS Pro Functionaility Matrix, for the same reasons the Desktop one is produced. It doesn't need to be PDF from my perspective.

15 Comments
ColeAndrews

Can you clarify if you're asking for a matrix that compares the functions available for the Pro licenses, or a matrix that compares the functionality of ArcMap to Pro?

SimonColeman1

I'd welcome both, but my current concern would be resolved with a matrix that focusses on ArcGIS Pro only. You might imagine a scenario where you know you want to use ArcGIS Pro, but do not know which licence level you'd need.

xingchenc

Is there any update on the ArcGIS Pro functionality matrix?

Danny_Thompson

ArcGIS Pro Functionality Matrix would be very useful - Basic level is neither use nor ornament. Is that what is preventing the matrix being released?

This (but for Pro):

KoryKramer

Thank you for the comment @Danny_Thompson 

In response to this request, we are improving this help topic for the upcoming ArcGIS Pro 3.1 release to provide more granularity about what license level would be needed for more specific work: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/license-levels.htm

I'm interested in understanding more about how you currently use the ArcMap functionality matrix. Can you give us a few examples of how you use that matrix?

Thank you!

Danny_Thompson

Hi @KoryKramer, great to know it is being looked into more closely.

I primarily use it to show people within our organisation what level of functionality they require and therefore what licence level would satisfy that.

I also use it to justify our central Citrix environments defaulting to a 'Standard' license as the majority of the Geospatial teams work involves ArcSDE geodatabases and therefore changing the licensing level every time is quite tedious, especially when you can do 80% of day to day requirements with a 'Standard' license, but only 10% with a Basic and Advanced is only really required for the top 10% of Geoprocessing tasks.

KoryKramer

Thanks @Danny_Thompson 

>>"I also use it to justify our central Citrix environments defaulting to a 'Standard' license as the majority of the Geospatial teams work involves ArcSDE geodatabases"  I believe this part will be solved with the new license level topic in Pro 3.1. 

>> "I primarily use it to show people within our organisation what level of functionality they require and therefore what licence level would satisfy that." For this use, do you have any recent examples of the type of functionality somebody comes to you with, seeking to understand what license they'll need? Have users broken down a workflow into distinct operations (e.g. I need to pan a map, do I need a special license?) or is it more like "I need to work with imagery to do x, y, z" and then you need to ask more details about exactly what they need to do?

SimonSchütte_ct

I use it to migrate workflows from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro. Sometimes there are changes to the license levels required for specific tools (some tools become available in lower license levels, sometimes require a higher license level). This is rare, but can happen. Also ArcGIS Pro sometimes offers new Tools that can be used to improve workflows.

Having one extension licensed sometimes gives you access to similar or the same tools that otherwise are only available with a specific ArcGIS Pro License Level or with another extension.

If you have various licenses in an Organization, it is really useful to have all available options in one table.
Ideally it is possible to filter the functionality matrix by License Level and Extensions to see what tools are available in specific configurations.

Having to search through the documentation for license information all the time can be exhausting.

SusannaSaari

Hi all,

Indeed it would be super useful to have a detailed ArcGIS Pro license level functionality matrix available. We are coming up for our annual license renewal in the next month or so, and are hoping to move from a mixed ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Pro setup to an ArcGIS Pro-only setup. However, it is really difficult to determine whether we could get by on a 'standard level' license or if we need the 'Advanced' level - there's about £1800 annual difference between 'Standard' and 'Advanced' but the extremely vague table in https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/license-levels.htm does not explain the differences between license levels very well at all. If Esri charges that differently for the different license levels - surely Esri knows what functionality differs between these license levels, and can share the reasoning, please

Reading some of the responses above - it seems like we cannot rely on the license level functionality matrix provided for Desktop (when trying to decide which license level we require for ArcGIS Pro)? Is that correct, please? Or is it possible to use the matrix for Desktop (https://www.esri.com/content/dam/esrisites/en-us/media/pdf/product/desktop/arcgis-10.7-desktop-arcma...) as a license level guide for ArcGIS Pro, as well?