ArcGIS PRO export to .stl format for 3D printing

04-04-2018 04:19 AM
Labels (1)
AmaliaPanagiotopoulou
New Contributor II

It would be great if ArcGIS PRO users could export directly their 3D Map content in ArcGIS PRO in .stl format used directly for 3D printing (Maybe in the Share Tab or as a conversion tool addition to the Toolbox) Since PRO is a 3D application also, it should be involved more with 3D printing. That will also save the users a lot of time and energy because they first need to convert their work to CAD and then proceed with 3d printing.

15 Comments
JustinCole1

The DEM to 3D plugin in QGIS works well, and I found that by using raster tools and functions you can create some good cartography products.  I posted this article on my personal blog on how it can work.  https://justincolegis.com/2022/04/13/creating-a-3d-printed-trail-map-for-people-who-are-visually-imp.... When I did that post, I was doing a lot using geoprocessing, but found that the raster functions and doing more in the layouts can give a better product, so I will be updating that soon.  I also met with the Accessibility team and they are going to look into some of this to help create more accessible maps.  

Theresa_Zehentbauer

great Work Justin 🙂

NDGraphics

We are working on a feature in Pro that will allow you to export the meshes and materials of any 3D symbols of your choice and terrain tile to 3D formats like glTF. The feature is in the works right now, but it should be available soon.

JustinCole1

@NDGraphics What other formats can you choose because glTF is not usable for 3D printing and need to be converted?  Thanks

NDGraphics

@JustinCole1 STL is also in the works. Right after glTF is released.