ArcGIS Pro: Enable Full Right-Click Menu

09-19-2017 02:53 PM
DT
by
New Contributor III

The right-click menu in ArcGIS Pro is missing numerous functions that are available in ArcMap.  These functions need to be as comprehensive, or more so in Pro.  Example one of many:  In need of a map within a few minutes during a board meeting, I was joining a table to a feature class.   I needed to check that the field used for the join had the same properties so that the join is successful and trouble-free.  In the attribute table, right-click on a field>Properties shows you within a second, literally.  Right-click in ArcGIS Pro doesn't have "properties".  Nor was I able to find it after scanning the contextual ribbons or "project window" for more than a few minutes.  It was quicker to open up ArcMap and reload the data.  The more I use Pro, the more disappointed I am.  I am quickly finding out any time "saved" in a 64 bit environment is quickly negated due to the qwerky workflows and dysfunctional interface of Pro.  I couldn't care less about a "slick and buttery" interface.  "Slick and buttery" doesn't get work done.

After forcing Pro onto myself for over a month, I am officially downgrading it to heavy processing where the multi-threading can be utilized.  It is in no condition for replacement of ArcMap.

10 Comments
DuncanHornby

My idea here is related and compliments this idea.

KoryKramer

Hi D T

Hovering over the field will display information about whether there is a join:

and/or a relate/relationship class:

DT
by

Yes, I am aware. Thanks. That isn't really what I'm after.  Before a join is even attempted, it is much quicker to check the properties of the fields being joined with a quick right-click.  I cannot count how many times Excel or the import table geoprcessing tool changed a number to a string, or changed the number of characters in a string field. A simple check eliminates wasted time attempting a join only to have it fail, or to somehow go through and create erroneous layer behavior. Or, if a check is missed beforehand and bad things happen, it is a quick way to troubleshoot the most common problem in my experience.

Edit:  I need to re-check if hovering shows just regular properties before a join is created, as they are shown on the top half of your example. Nothing came up when performing this the other day, and I have no doubt it's not computer performance. My machine is brand new, about as fast as they come - significantly beyond the optimum requirements recommended by ESRI for running any applications they provide, and all data in question is local on a SSD PCIe hard drive. 

KoryKramer

In the screenshots from yesterday there was no example for a text field.  That does show the type and length along with the other properties seen above. 

Hope this helps.

AnaVilla1

I really think this is so important in ArcGIS Pro...and I missing the Identify button too! you have the options there, it was easier...

KoryKramer

Hi Ana Villa‌ Please try to keep comments associated with the original idea.  This idea is about right-click functionality with the specific example given as right-clicking on a field to show it's properties.

For your comments about Identify tool functionality, those would be better placed in Add a Real Identify tool to the ArcGIS Pro's Inquiry Ribbon Area‌  In ArcGIS Pro, there are options as to which layer the Explore tool will act on:

Hope this helps.

Thank you!

DT
by

Thanks.  I got this to work.  Not sure what was going on before.  When it works, that is nice and fast.  However, I think it goes to show the unpredictable nature of hovering for pop-ups.  A right-click would be more dependable, and one would think, less resource intensive.  The pop-ups can also be too short, or too fast to come up on the wrong items, or too slow and come up on the wrong items.  So I still vote for the contextual right-click.

Jan_Tjallingvan_der_Wal

True, that ArcGIS Pro has a way to go to becoming a true professional tool. I must admit it has improved considerably from 1.0 to 2.0.1, but still it has ample room for improvement.

For me it still is the first GIS to turn to and I use it a lot. But that frequent use does come with an almost constant irritation originating in missing functionality, crashes and as stated quirky work-flows.

AnaVilla1

Thanks!

DT
by

I'll reiterate after more work in Pro for some 64-bit tasks:  A true contextual menu is the right-click menu.  Contrary to the contextual ribbons, a contextual right-click menu allows very quick access to only the tools needed right there, without breaking line of sight or mental workflow to go find something on a ribbon, and possibly need to further divert to a "project pane".  Anyone who has broken line of site with a table before, knows how inefficient it is to do so.  The same is true for complex maps.  "Finding where you were" is not efficient workflow.