ArcGIS Pro: 2.4.2: Why the aprx file doesn’t appear in the catalog,

10-28-2019 12:14 AM
Labels (1)
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro: 2.4.2: Why the aprx file doesn’t appear in the catalog,

I observed that the aprx file doesn’t appear in the catalog. This means that one can’t switch from aprx to another by drag and drop.

19 Comments
JamalNUMAN

yes, we need it like mxd! no need for all the automatic created material as the aprx is created

JeremiahP

Totally - It's so strange that catalog cannot see aprx files. Really surprised me when I realized I wasn't going crazy.

I'd also add that it would be very nice if the user can choose to open the aprx as a new session that replaces the current session, or as a separate Arc Pro session that leaves the current session open (which would then give the user two active sessions or more depending on how many they opened)

RoseF
by

Please implement this idea. There is a similar idea here for other file types as well:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/catalog-file-type-options-in-pro/idc-p/1223335#M21723

Please add Kudos if you haven't already!

Danny_Thompson

I still can't believe that the ArcGIS Pro 'Catalog' template / view can't even show that its own APRX files exist in a folder!

Please remedy this, to have to hop out applications like Windows Explorer to do this is silly.

SteveIrving

How can this still be?? I have to use Explorer to delete an APRX file??? Just nuts.

PROBERT68

In standalone  ArcCatalog, You are able to view .mxd or data files, and so on  in a Preview tab. under the geography drop down. 

Why was there not possible to view the pro project .aprx files within the Catalog View but you are able to  view the ArcMap .mxd files ?

Is there a way around that am I missing here or will it come to the new versions in the future ?

DougFenske

@PROBERT68 An issue that complicates your scenario is that a Pro project can contain multiple maps and layouts. Only one of them would have to be chosen by the software somehow to be the one to show in a preview. I suppose it could just use "the first" one that was created. Or, better yet, the software could enable the user to designate which one would be used.

PROBERT68

@DougFenske 

It is possible that they might add the arrows for forward or backward to it near in the future.

bfindlay

Wow, I can't believe this wasn't a feature from day 1 of the release which was 9 years ago this month! This feature absolutely should be added. I thought I was going crazy because I could not find Pro projects that I thought were in a specific directory, and then I open Windows File Explorer and they were right there all along but Pro wasn't showing them. 🙄

Also I also miss the ability ArcCatalog had to add other file types so they show up in the view, so I also recommend voting on this idea

Esri please, please, please don't keep us waiting for this necessary feature!