ArcGIS Pro 2.4.2: Pro fails to respect unchecking “create folder for a project” option when choosing the “without a project template” option

10-31-2019 11:01 AM
Labels (1)
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.4.2: Pro fails to respect unchecking “create folder for a project” option when choosing the “without a project template” option

I observed that Pro fails to respect unchecking “create folder for a project” option when choosing the “without a project template” option; it keeps saving the aprx file in a folder

For example, in the screenshots below, the P1.aprx file is intended to be saved in the Q folder. The Pro created P1 folder and inside it the P1.aprx file is saved despite the fact that the “create folder for a project” option is unchecked.

In addition to that, the Maps item is not displayed by default. It appears once the “New Map” is created

Is this much of confusion by design?

3 Comments
JamalNUMAN

I tried the Pro 2.5 Beta 1 and found out that this idea is not implemented. What I wanted here is to get the following implemented as the “without a project template” option is selected:

1. To get the map item created by default
  2. To get the aprx file created without folder when saving the project

Why this should be challenging?

NaicongLi
Status changed to: Under Consideration

nadja_swiss_parks

ArcGIS Pro allows in "Options" >> "General" >> "Create project" to uncheck "Create a folder for the project". This works fine if the project is started with a template like a Map, Catalog, etc. However, if the Option "Start without a template" is chosen, you cannot just save the .aprx file in your pre-defined project structure. Using "Start without a template" and saving the project later will always create a new project folder (let's not discuss the default naming policy).

We strongly suggest to honor the chosen settings and to NOT create a project folder, even if one has started without a template.

See also RobbynAbbitt ‎'s comment from 02-15-2023 07:28 AM in this question https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/save-arcpro-project-without-a-new-folder-created/...