Applying Transparency to Layout Items

02-15-2018 12:45 PM
Labels (1)
KevinStandage
New Contributor II

The ability in ArcGIS Pro to import PNG files with transparent backgrounds was a major improvement in my opinion. However, there is still no native way to apply a transparency to layout items such as a picture or text. It would be extremely beneficial to add that functionality for things such as a "DRAFT" text across the map or a watermarked logo in the corner.

4 Comments
KoryKramer

For what sounds like the main use case of adding a Draft or watermark, this is done by setting transparency on the text color.

There is a built-in Watermark text symbol that uses 25% transparency.

But you can set the level of transparency by using the dropdown next to Color > Color Properties...

It doesn't look like transparency can be set on a picture added though...

AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: In Product Plan

JeremyDavies

Being able to set transparency for logos and other layout graphic features will be a welcome addition-- glad to see this is in the product plan! As a workaround I created multiple png versions of our logo in illustrator, each with different levels of opacity for the actual logo/text, and I set the background transparent. I can then place the version with the appropriate level of transparency in any given layout. It's a bit of a pain and takes some trial and error, but it works!

@AubriKinghorn @KoryKramer @KevinStandage 

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

Transparency can be applied to images in a layout starting in ArcGIS Pro 2.9. See Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 2.9 and go to 3:06 for a quick demo.