Allow the "Create new folder for this project" box to be unchecked when creating a new project from a custom project template.

03-15-2023 02:56 PM
Labels (1)
HayleyHume-Merry
New Contributor III

I would like ArcGIS Pro to allow the "Create new folder for this project" box to be unchecked when creating a new project from a custom project template.

Currently, the "Create a new folder for this project" box is checked and greyed out when creating a new project from a custom template. 

This is a problem for us as our organisational standards have this unticked by default, meaning that if we implement project templates, any projects using these will end up with a different folder structure.

Screenshot from training video showing the box greyed out and therefore it is unable to be unchecked.Screenshot from training video showing the box greyed out and therefore it is unable to be unchecked.

Having this box unchecked is the default setting for our organisationHaving this box unchecked is the default setting for our organisation

This idea was originally raised as a comment on this training video.

Tags (1)
8 Comments
jmaxwell_braun

This used to be possible until the upgrade to 3.1. Me and others in my department unchecked the box for every new project over the last 2 years, but it stopped working recently.

BieckNagelhout

This has always been possible, now it's been broken for no good reason and we get to vote to please get this basic functionality back? Interesting... 

BrendanSoulé

Interesting update on this.

We are running Pro 3.0.2 on one server and can uncheck that box.

BrendanSoul_1-1691618039932.png

However, Pro 3.1.2 on our other server does NOT allow "create a new folder for this project" to be unchecked.

BrendanSoul_0-1691617922317.png

Both servers are starting with the same template APTX file, both versions have "create a folder for the project" disabled in the APRX Options:

BrendanSoul_0-1691618237814.png

AzinSharaf

@BrendanSoulé  Have you used a custom aptx or esri template?

BrendanSoulé

@AzinSharaf It's a custom APTX we've been using for about 3 years now. Only recently saw this issue appear.

AzinSharaf

yes 3.0 doesn't have this issue but 3.1.2 has. 

PLadd
by

I was using 3.1.3 and it is also a flop.  Upgraded to 3.2.0 and the problem persists:

PLadd_2-1701961277944.png

Somebody at ESRI must think forcing users to create a folder is a good idea.  I always saw it as creating more clutter.

BrendanSoulé

Talked with Esri support recently and they let me know this is intentional:

"Starting from version 3.1, it is now a requirement to create projects from custom templates in a new folder. Therefore the option to not create a new folder was disabled. This measure has been implemented to prevent data loss and ensure the integrity of your project data. In the past, if a new folder was not created when multiple projects were created from the same template in the same location, there was a risk of overwriting the data provided with the template. This meant that any previous edits made to that data would be lost. "