Get Started with your own Project Template in ArcGIS Pro

03-10-2023 08:15 AM
Jordan_Brasher
Esri Contributor

Have you been thinking about how to curate your project workspace in ArcGIS Pro? Maybe you'd like to ensure new projects conform to organizational standards and make the same project resources (i.e. layers, folder and database connections, layouts, etc.) available to everyone in your organization. This video is for you! In it, we'll cover how to get started with your own project template. This video was recorded in February 2023 using ArcGIS Pro 3.0. For further introductory training in ArcGIS Pro, check out Esri's Introduction to GIS Using ArcGIS course: https://bit.ly/3K8CydY

4 Replies
HayleyHume-Merry
New Contributor III

Hi Jordan, We are excited to use project templates within our organisation as we think they will save a ton of time! At the moment, there are a few nuisances in the process which is stopping us from implementing them. 

I was wondering why the 'Create a new folder for this project' tick box is greyed out once you go to use the new template?

This is a problem for us as our organisational standards have this unticked by default, meaning that if we implement project templates, any projects using these will end up with a different folder structure.

Jordan_Brasher
Esri Contributor

Hi @HayleyHume-Merry, thank you for your comment. After doing some research, it does appear that the "Create a new folder for this project" box being checked and greyed out when creating a new project from a custom template is expected behavior for ArcGIS Pro and there doesn't seem to be a way to enable this option.

I encourage you to post your issue as an idea in the ArcGIS Ideas board in Esri Community. (See a similar one posted here raising the same issue for starting a new project without a template at all). Thank you for your participation in the community and for helping us prioritize development efforts for ArcGIS Pro!

HayleyHume-Merry
New Contributor III

Thanks for your quick response!

For the records and other potential viewers, I have now raised this as an idea here.

Hopefully this gets fixed soon so we can start utilising project templates at my organisation 😊

Jordan_Brasher
Esri Contributor

Thanks again for raising this idea, @HayleyHume-Merry. One potential workaround for your organization in the meantime is to just create your own project "template" as a project (i.e., .aprx file instead of .aptx), and then when starting a new project, just copy that one and rename it to the new project name. This may not be the most ideal solution (a bit clunky to rename as you can't rename once inside Pro) but could be a way to get started with your connections and layers in a new project. Hope this helps!

0 Kudos