Allow Rectangle Textbox to Grow/Shrink and Vertically Justify Text

01-09-2015 01:04 PM
Labels (1)
LucasMurray2
Occasional Contributor II

Allow the rectangle textbox to grow or shrink based on the text within the box.  When creating data driven pages, I sometimes add long text to describe the data in the map.  If I size the textbox for the longest text and the text shrinks for one of the maps, I'm left with a large blank space between the bottom of the text and the bottom border of the box.

Also, within a rectangle textbox, allow me to control the vertical justification of the text.  Currently, it's only top justified.  I'd like the ability to make it center or bottom justifiy.

Thank you.

36 Comments
BrandonNelson1
+1 for vertical justification in rectangle text.  Seems to me like grow/shrink would be better implemented as allowing users to set a fixed width for normal text elements.
RobertBorchert
Great idea and conversly I would like to see the TEXT grow or shink to fit the box.
GM1
by

I was recently creating a layout involving many different elements.  Adobe InDesign narrowly won over Pro because I was able to automatically adjust the text box size to fit the text I had just made, then distribute my elements vertically on the page.  This did not seem easily possible in ArcGIS Pro 2.4.1.  Yet, I see in the legend controls, a Fitting Strategy: Adjust Frame option:

Adjust frame option for legends

Could this be added to the options for text boxes please?

If I am overlooking something, I do welcome others' feedback.  I am enjoying the greater control ArcGIS Pro is offering over ArcMap.

GM1
by

Here's a graphic of the same issue today at 2.5.1, I find it hard to align text elements neatly within a layout when the bounding box is not able to be snapped to the size the text and background turned out.

Bounding box is distant from text to which it is related making alignment difficult

MichaelPielow

Still an issue at 2.8.1.  Simple things like not having the text box automatically fit the text make Pro difficult to use.  

AliciaHack

Agree.  Would be great to have the text box adjust appropriately to the changes in the text symbol.  And the text symbol change in size when the text box is adjusted. This was how it worked in ArcMap.

For example, if I have a text box with 10pt font and I change it to 20pt font, I have to resize the box in order to see the full text. Currently if you increase the font size, the text box stays the same and you see a 3 red dots ... indicating that there is text that's not visible.

wayfaringrob

Wow, this is from 6 years ago. I can't believe this has never been implemented. It would be so, so useful.

StefanUseldinger

We need this!

GregGeimer

+1 Surprising vertically aligning text is still not possible.

JustinJohnston

I am having the opposite problem now.  I have a text box that keeps making the font size increase if I change the shape of the text box.  I can't find a setting to make it so that it word wraps properly or let me pick specific xy dimensions.  Currently the dimensions aspect ratio appears to be locked, so it just changes the font size instead of letting me adjust the box size.

Frustrating.

Cheers,

Justin