Allow aliases for Portal connections in Pro

05-31-2018 11:24 AM
Labels (1)
UlfBecker
New Contributor III

Users with multiple Portal connections could quickly become confused and run into issues switching to the wrong connection before sharing services.  My assumption is that we are all stuck with a long URL and that after adding 3+ we begin to get confused.  Please consider allowing users to define an alias for each Portal connection defined in ArcGIS Pro.  This simple feature would go a long way to easing the lives of pro users. #esripug

7 Comments
JohnMDye

I'm confused. I have multiple portal connections and can easily tell them apart. Are you in a scenario where your Portal URIs are very similar?

UlfBecker

I work for a large multi-national company.  Our servers use a non-descript naming convention that makes perfect sense to server support staff, but these mean very little to end-users that might one day be wanting to share local and regional content.

JonahLay

With ArcGIS Pro 3.0, your profile photo now displays in the application. While this may not meet the exact requirement request, adding a profile picture may help to differentiate between the different active portals.

Screenshot 2022-07-29 130506.png

JonahLay_3-1659124493298.png

MichaelMcBain

It would be nice to customize your Portal logins in the Project/Portal menu. My current Org is transition from a test to prod environment in Portal. The custom URL's are very similar. It would be nice to give nicknames to them. Also, we use our AD to sync our logins with portal. Although the icons are different colors, the letters inside are my initials are the same as well. Being able to give nicknames or customize the appearance would make switching between Portal environments or different role logins easier and quicker.

JonahLay

Hi @MichaelMcBain,

Thank you for your idea submission. There is an existing idea that might already cover your request: Allow aliases for Portal connections in Pro

Can you please take a look at this to see if it's a duplicate? If so, we can close and merge this idea.

Thanks,

Jonah

HollyTorpey_LSA

This is a great idea. We only have two, but it would be great to give them more meaningful names so that occasional users know which to choose.

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

I'm going to set this to Needs Clarification @MichaelMcBain as a flag for us to revisit it if we don't hear back from you soon. Please see Jonah's question - it sounds like this may be a duplicate of the existing idea to alias portal connections.

Thank you!