Select to view content in your preferred language

Add in a duplicate Project option

12-07-2023 07:14 AM
Labels (1)
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

This keeps happening to my users. They spend a bunch of time making a Pro project to use as a template for everything else, then, to duplicate it, they use Save As.

This is awful.

All of the default stuff, e.g. the default gdb, belongs to the original project, and then everyone is confused as to why stuff is saving there.

The clear workaround is to use Layout Files (PAGX -- also because Project Templates do not work in a smart way) but also that's something else to explain and quite frankly, I have users who just don't get it no matter how many times I explain. They can understand Save As to save a copy, since that's how it works for every other program. But let's be real, an aprx without its own folder or default gdb is kind of useless (and again, confuses everyone trying to save stuff).

So.

Please add in a Duplicate Project option, where it copies everything in the project-- Maps, Layouts and places it in a new project folder, with a new gdb, wherever the user chooses. This will be a lot easier for people to actually do what they think they're doing.

6 Comments
JohnPlunkett

Would creating a project package solve your issue?

Share a project package—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

This creates a project package and packages up the local data and makes a copy of it.

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\ArcGIS\Packages\<PACKAGENAME>

When you extract the package - by default it gets extracted here, but you can move the content to a different location if you desire once its opened for the first time

AlfredBaldenweck

Hi, Project Packages do not solve the issue for the same reason that Project Templates (themselves a type of Project Package) don't, either: I'm not looking to duplicate any data, just the maps and layouts. 

For ArcMap users, the workflow for the past 20ish years has been to Save As to duplicate and reuse most of your work on a new map, and it's causing issues as they migrate. With the addition of the new default gdb per project as well as the home folder, this workflow no longer works. I suppose I could tell them to copy the original project's entire folder, but then they have to rename everything and change the default gdb in Options, etc. Having a "Duplicate Project" button makes this a lot simpler.

(As a side note, why on earth can't we choose where packages get extracted to? If I'm opening a Project Package, it's because I plan to use it in Documents\ArcGIS\Projects or another folder somewhere. Why on earth would I look for it in Packages after unpacking it?)

KoryKramer

(As a side note, why on earth can't we choose where packages get extracted to? If I'm opening a Project Package, it's because I plan to use it in Documents\ArcGIS\Projects or another folder somewhere. Why on earth would I look for it in Packages after unpacking it?)

Have you looked at Set unpacking options? https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/share-and-download-options.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_D6...

AlfredBaldenweck
Have you looked at Set unpacking options?

This is great! Why isn't just choosing the output location just the default?

AlfredBaldenweck

Oops, should have done my homework. 

I think this idea is a duplicate (Ha-ha!) of this one. ArcGIS Pro: Save Project Copy - Page 2 - Esri Community

AlfredBaldenweck

So, at the Dev Summit this last week, I asked about this.

The very nice Esri staff I was talking to was like "What are you talking about? Save As works fine"

So I say "No, it only duplicates the APRX but nothing else". So we test.

Turns out, in 3.2, the Save As functionality through the GUI has been changed to duplicate the entire folder. No clue as to whether it also duplicates the contents of your default GDB, but still, good to know. 

AlfredBaldenweck_0-1710614452687.png

I just tested it again in 3.1 and Save As only duplicates the APRX in this version.

Anyway, so it looks like there may be a viable solution out there. If someone using 3.2 could test and 1) confirm it actually works as it appeared to, as well as whether or not the contents of the Default GDB get duplicated, I'd appreciate it. (also what are the implications here for aprx.SaveACopy()?)

The other thing is: Why wasn't this change in behavior documented, either in the release notes or on one of the two relevant ideas (this one or this older one?) Very excited to hear there's light at the end of this particular tunnel, but I would never have found out if I hadn't asked directly.