Select to view content in your preferred language

Acreage or Area Units of Selected Features

10-17-2023 05:18 AM
Labels (1)
JasonFuller
New Contributor II

ArcGIS Pro lags way behind ArcMap in the ability to quickly and conveniently see statistics of ONLY selected features without having to run a geoprocessing tool or calculate values to a table. I know I speak for many people who work in Cadastral Mapping and Parcel mapping that frequently want to see Acreage or Sq Footage Sums for only selected features. Arcmap had a statistics tool that would do this very quickly and there was also a custom tool out there that quickly calculated Acreage of Selected Features.  All of the solutions I have seen on the support forums are tedious work arounds that do not really replicate what was easily done in ArcMap. Please consider developing standard tool in ArcGIS Pro that quickly allows user to see Acreage (or any area unit) for the selected features. 

7 Comments
clt_cabq

I'm just curious, isn't this information available in the popup information panel? The popup info is massively configurable so you could customize a popup that shows you all the information you need to see at a glance from just a point and click operation.

JasonFuller

I did try using popups for this previously but seemed I could only return information on the single feature I clicked on. So I can customize a custom expression in that return to show me acreage when I click on that feature but was not able to see total acreage of several multipart features with different parcel IDs in a feature class. Perhaps I am missing something, is it possible to configure the pop up to show summarized values from all features that are currently selected from a feature class? If possible that would solve my issue. 

DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor

Hi JasonFuller,

If you right click Shape_Area and select Statistics, you will get a chart and all the statistics in the Chart Properties pane. You can choose to show the stats for all the records or the selected records. It's different from ArcMap but provides more flexibility.  Hope it meets your needs.

DanLee_2-1697556243533.png

You can add a field, say Area_Hectares, and then right click the field to select Calculate Geometry. This tool allows you to calculate many geometry properties, including Area in specific unit.  It's the same as the geoprocessing tool, Calculate Geometry Attributes.  Hope this helps.

DanLee_4-1697557229016.png

JasonFuller

Thanks for replies I realize this should be my solution, but I have tried this in the past and tried again now and it is painfully slow loading for me. I have it set to only return for selected features and am testing on just a few features and it still just drags. I assume this is the best I will get from Pro for now but just don't understand why it takes so long compared to Arcmap which returns the result immediately with its statistics tool. 

Thanks again for reply. 

DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor

You are welcome. Thank you for your feedback. I will forward your comments to our team.

LynneBuie

@JasonFuller here is another option for you if you are using ArcGIS Pro 2.8 or later. You can use the Data Engineering view to view statistics for all or selected features - here is the documentation that shows you how. You could use this to view the statistics of an area field you create using the Calculate Geometry Attributes tool, which you can access from the Construct group on the ribbon (or from the Geoprocessing pane). This tool supports unit conversion, so you can create the area field in whichever unit you prefer.

LynneBuie_0-1697566632516.png

JasonFuller

Thank you Lynne, I think the data engineering will be a better option as it seems to work much faster than the statistics tool (at least for me). Since I like to see square footage and Acres I think setting up an Acreage field with attribute rules to auto calculate from the shape area may be my best bet.  

Thanks to everyone who responded.