Select to view content in your preferred language

This Week's Picks - ArcGIS Pro #5

12-19-2019 09:47 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
5 0 1,062

Welcome to This Week’s Picks - ArcGIS Pro #5 (Technical Support Stocking Stuffer Edition). For issue #4 I did the first volume of ArcGIS Pro How-To’s. The picks highlighted existing content that tied into topics that I have seen on GeoNet. This week’s picks will follow suit, the one distinction being that all the resources are from the Esri Technical Support Knowledge Base (KB). This is one of my favorite places due to the sheer volume of knowledge articles.

For ArcGIS Pro How-To Vol. 2, we will look at the following Esri support knowledge topics:

1. How to import database and server connections from ArcGIS Desktop to ArcGIS Pro.
  2. How to address the error: “The following file did not convert,” when importing a Style file from ArcGIS Desktop into ArcGIS Pro.
  3. How to the resolve two common authorization issues. The error: “The account cannot be used to authorize ArcGIS Pro as it has already been configured to use in offline mode on some other device,” and when the offline option is checked and disabled, disallowing you to return an offline named user license.

This Week

1. How to import database and server connections from ArcGIS Desktop to ArcGIS Pro.

One of my first questions as I began working with ArcGIS Pro was can I “import” my database and server connections? Last week I shared a resource about leveraging project templates and favorites to have persistent connections across projects. This knowledge article discusses how to connect to existing folder(s) that store ArcGIS Desktop connection files on the local machine in ArcGIS Pro, and then adding them to your project. If you are coming from ArcMap or just want to add these to your projects, you can follow this resource and then optionally leverage project templates to use these connections in new projects. Check it out here.

2. How to address the error “The following file did not convert,” when importing a Style file from ArcGIS Desktop into ArcGIS Pro.

Custom symbols created in a custom Style file in ArcGIS Desktop may be something you want to import into ArcGIS Pro. These Style file models are based on Access, and while an error importing them is not necessarily something you see routinely, they can become corrupted. This has come up several times here on GeoNet with one recently being routed to Esri Technical Support. Senior analyst Margaret Maher assisted and was kind enough to write this possible workaround into a knowledge article. If you have encountered this error give this a read to see if it can be repaired.

3. How to resolve common errors authorizing and returning offline named user licenses.

A couple common issues with ArcGIS Pro authorizing that I often see are discussed here. The first involves getting an error about the license being configured for offline use on another device. Normally this involves returning or checking in the offline license. Easy enough, however, in the event the checkbox is disabled disallowing you to return an offline license, you would want to explore the second article. Check out the first here if you get the error about it being configured for offline mode on another device, and the second here for the checkbox being disabled.

I hope you enjoyed the last picks of 2019, How-To Vol. 2. Stay tuned for next year's picks! You can also check out This Week's Picks - ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise. Thanks again for reading and Happy Holidays to you!

(If you are interested in previous entry's, they are archived here: https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-14232-this-weeks-picks-arcgis-pro-archive This Week's Picks is Product Advocacy’s unofficial recurring GeoNet blog that highlights some favorite ArcGIS Pro content with the community.)

-Aaron