ArcGIS Pro Roadmap

02-02-2018 03:16 PM
RobElkins
Esri Contributor
68 101 64K

The ArcGIS Pro Roadmap is now being maintained as a GeoNet Document.  Please go here: https://go.esri.com/ProRoadMap

101 Comments
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

relkins-esristaff‌, thanks for sharing.  This is good information, even if high-level.  Breaking the road map into near-, mid-, and long-term helps customers get a sense of how soon, or not, certain features they are interested in might get into the product.

A couple of comments.  One, it would be great if something like this either gets updated with each release, i.e., a "living document" of sorts, or a new version is issued after each release.  As items are checked off the near-term, it would be good for customers to see what is shifting from long- and mid-term down to mid- and near-term.

Second, can you convince any of the other development teams to follow the Pro lead, especially on the server side?  When it comes to planning Esri software deployment in large organizations, even high-level road maps are useful planning tools for customers.

Thanks again.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thank you for the comments, Joshua.  The idea for this roadmap is exactly what you've described in your first comment.  It will continually be updated as Pro develops - "We'll revise the roadmap throughout the year to ensure it reflects the latest information."

I'll share your suggestion about creating something similar on the server-side with our Customer Advocacy team.

Thomas Edghill

Thank you again for the positive feedback and constructive suggestions!

Cheers,

Kory

DavidWheelock
Occasional Contributor III

Is this blog post the place where we come to find the ArcGIS Pro Roadmap, or is there another web page that is the permanent home?  It would be good to have a permanent link to the roadmap off of the Pro web page that you gave, above, so that visitors to that page can see right away what the future holds.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

This will be the permanent home for the ArcGIS Pro Roadmap, at least for the foreseeable future, as it allows us a lot of flexibility in keeping it the most up-to-date, which is what will be most helpful to all of our users!  

I believe the plan is to mark this post as Featured Content in the https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/arcgis-pro?sr=search&searchId=059f38db-f29b-45...‌ space to give it visibility.

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Kory, may I suggest that you migrate this content from a Blog post to a "Document" on GeoNet.  Documents allow for versioning, which would allow for users to track the changes/evolution of the road map over time. 

MatthewCieri2
New Contributor

Hi,

What are the estimated time frames for the terms Near,Mid and Long?.  I am particularity interesting in Parcel Fabric.

Thanks,
Matt

ThomasKonzel
Occasional Contributor

No annotation?  Inconceivable!

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Matthew,

In relation to the Pro Roadmap, below is how we're thinking about the terms:

Near-term: next release or two

Mid-term: next two or three releases

Long-term: in the plan but we are not certain of the release at this point

As far as Parcel Fabric goes, that functionality is planned for some time in 2018.

Hope this helps!

JessieZarazaga1
New Contributor II

Our biggest issue with Pro, in the education world, is the necessity to individually enable every user through arcGIS online organizational account. This is especially difficult with students who want quick access for submitting small simple assignments, and use the enterprise sign-in.

And, of course, the issue of the use of credits, and ways to use Pro when off-campus and not logged onto the internet (such as research teams on site in Bolivia).

Is that access issue something that is on the short term list?

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Jessie - you should look into concurrent use licensing for ArcGIS Pro rather than the Named User License Model.

RobElkins
Esri Contributor

After the EPC and Dev Summit events, I've been getting asked about the next version of ArcGIS Pro. The plans is for the next release to be version 2.0 and be released around the Esri User Conference in San Diego. 

PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

Robert LeClair,‌ unless something has changed very recently, ESRI Educational licensing only gives us access to named user licensing for Pro. Concurrent and single-use licensing are not available. 

jzarazaga‌, have you thought about automating things for new users? In your organizational setting: use enterprise logins, enable auto-provisioning of accounts, set a default credit quota for new accounts, and periodically run an automated script somewhere that assigns Pro (and other) licenses to newly created accounts (ours runs every five minutes). You can pretty much be totally hands-off then. I agree with the pain of offline use though. We have plenty of research groups sharing computers that need to use Pro offline in the field. With educational licensing limited to named users, then that often means creating a dozen named user for each researcher, and then having each researcher login to each of the dozen devices they might use in the field to check out a Pro license for that user on that device; a real pain and time-sink. 

BenoitPronovost1
New Contributor III

Do you have a general idea of when dimension editing will be available in ArcGIS Pro? We are currently in the process of migrating our environnement to Esri and dimension editing is required. Ideally we would want to jump directly to ArcGIS Pro rather then use ArcMap.

Thanks,

Benoit

AlessandroValra

Bookmarked. I don't see any mention to python. I like the way you can handle python packages from 1.3 release using conda. Would be great to even create new environments, especially when integrating the GIs workflow with external packages which works only with specific version of python. At present, I know a possible workaround is to copy the entire folder under "Python/env" and still being able to use this copy as the new env along with arcpy, but still one has to stick with using python 3.5.

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't think it means what you think it means

AlessandroValra

What do you mean? I am referring to this document

AlessandroValra

I mean that I'd like to create new environments as I can (e.g.) using the command 'conda create --name python ...'. I know it can be difficult to deal with the arcpy module and different version of python. My very specific need came as I needed to use a package which is only usable with python 27. I know I can still use Python from ArcMap for this, but as it is a 32bit python, I often run into "out of memory issue" when dealing with (e.g.) LAS files. Also, as far as I know, it is not possible to create new conda environments from within ArcGIS Pro even with the same pytyhon version (3.5). Is that correct?

ClintonDow1
Occasional Contributor II

In Pro 1.3 and 1.4 it is possible to create new conda environments from the command line, however not from within Pro. This is being added as we speak and will be present in the next release. You are correct in that there are currently several requirements to run ArcPy and it can run into problems if you're using unsupported versions. New environments can be created from the command line, although they must conform to the package versions set on the default environment for the time being.  There is a file called 'pinned' in the conda-meta directory of the arcgispro-py3 env which contains these version requirements. 

Conda-Forge conda-forge | community driven packaging for conda  has been doing a lot of updating/packaging of out-of-date Python packages, perhaps check there to see if your package has been updated to support 3. 

For your 32-bit/memory issue, have you looked at the 64-bit Background Geoprocessing option? Background Geoprocessing (64-bit)—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  This will allow for more of your memory to be utilized. 

Also you will probably want to research Generator Expressions in Python, which conserve vast amounts of memory when compared to using collections such as lists: PEP 289 -- Generator Expressions | Python.org 

AlessandroValra

Thanks for the interesting info about the file called "pinned" (I actually found it under "~/arcgispro-py3/conda-meta/"). As a matter of fact, it's not a limitation from the arcpy-side, nor a matter of improving the code with generators in place of lists. It's a limitation of the python module I am using to deal with LAS files, which is only availbe for python 27. So I have to stick with ArcMap's python and not ArcGIS Pro's, and that's where the 32bit (python) limitation comes in. If ArcGIS Pro would have led me create a new conda env with python 27 (64bit) I would have solved the problem, but I understand that this is not really possible. Also, I found a fork on github with a development branch of the same module which is compatible with python 35, so I am now using that solving the problem unitl an official release for python 3 will come out. Thanks!

ShawnHolyoak
Occasional Contributor

Any idea when the COGO tools will be making the leap to Pro with feature parity? Without that we are unable to transition.

AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

The traverse tool in Pro 2.0 will allow you to enter COGO measurements, digitize a natural boundary and modify courses that were entered previously. It will not include ground to grid scaling correction, rotation correction for basis of bearing or ability to import traverse text files fro ArcMap. Please let us know if any of those impede your adoption of Pro. 

ShawnHolyoak
Occasional Contributor

All 3 of those items are required for us to adopt Pro. We use these tools on a daily basis, and cannot regress in functionality. Thanks!

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If ArcGIS Pro would have [let] me create a new conda env with python 27 (64bit) I would have solved the problem, but I understand that this is not really possible.

This is certainly possible, but that environment will not work with Pro, it will only work with ArcMap. When you use conda create just make sure you specify python versions and modules that ArcMap's arcpy requires, and add ArcMap's x64 Python to the...  And, before you do this, you would need to install Desktop x64 background processing to get the x64 Python arcpy.

AlessandroValra

Thanks, this is great news! I will try that out asap! (for "let"/"led": I saw my mistake but could not modify the message after posting...)

ClintonDow1

I would like to be clear since this is a new concept for many people and gets complicated quickly - You cannot use Python 2.7 with ArcGIS Pro. Curtis' blog post describes how to use conda environments with 2.7 in ArcMap which was technically possible for long before Pro was released. This is not the same thing as using 2.7 in Pro. 

RandyKreuziger

Rob,

There is nothing on the roadmap for database management.  Not even in the long-term.  There is at least one request under the Ideas for a Stand Alone Data Catalog Like ArcCatalog to ArcGIS Pro  <https://community.esri.com/ideas/12671-add-stand-alone-data-catalog-to-arcgis-pro-like-arccatalog

I'm in ArcCatalog most of the day and rarely need ArcMap.  Also, does ArcGIS Pro now allow for the creation of Metadata?  If not, ERSI needs to recognize that metadata is as  important as the data!

DavidWheelock

Thanks Randy.  Very much so.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks for the question, Randy.  Since you're referring to that Idea (https://community.esri.com/ideas/12671‌) I'm assuming that you've already up-voted that.  I checked and didn't see your User Story in the comments section.  Many customers have added their stories to the Comments on that Idea, and that is very important for the product team when monitoring the Idea.  I know that there are many eyes on this discussion, so please do add your input so that it can be considered with what is there already.

Thank you.

CherylTrine

I know that sometime in the future we will have to make the leap to ArcGIS Pro so I have been watching the developments along those lines.  Still not there for us -- we need topology and utility networks.

Because Pro does not have a data catalog like ArcCatalog, is there, or will there be, anything like XRay for ArcCatalog? I regularly use XRay to modify database schema and have found it quite useful.

Cheryl Trine

ITS, Andrews University

DavidWheelock

Here's a link to the idea to add a proper data catalog to Pro.  If you think it's a good idea, please give it an up-vote and comment with your use case:

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

It's very disappointing to have to document a user story to justify something we already use in ArcMap, which is going away, and won't be able to do in Pro. I'm spending more and more time looking at QGIS, not confident at all that the when ArcMap is gone for good, that Pro will even meet 1/4 of my needs. 

GraemeBrowning

Where in the roadmap is Match Symbols to Style currently sitting? https://community.esri.com/ideas/13363-arcgis-pro-needs-match-symbols-to-style

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

That is fresh today... so my guess would be at the bottom

NicolasMALIGM
New Contributor

Is it possible to have a better view on when it is possible to "Create/Manage/Edit Representations" as one currently does in ArcMap? Your excellent roadmap only talks about "enhanced capabilities" in mid-term, but nothing about basic capabilities, is it the same? Or do we need to wait for long term Production mapping extension development to correctly use Representations again? Hard to imagine to do high quality topographic maps without that.

Thanks and best regards. Nicolas

GrantHerbert

I would like the ability to open Pro and do something without having to create a project/toolbox/gdb/folder. Although I can set a default for those last items, there are times when I want a project/folder etc and plenty of times when I don't. And having a local default database runs the risk of user data being unavailable to others.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thank you for the feedback Grant Herbert‌.  Please go to Open ArcGIS Pro without having to Save‌ and up vote that Idea if you haven't done so already.  It is always best if you can include your Comments about use case/user story along with your up vote.

As for the issue with creating a local default, I wanted to make sure that you were aware that you can set up Pro to not create a new file gdb with every project: Change project settings—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

You could point your default to a file gdb on a network share.  As the documentation states, "Enterprise geodatabases can't be used as a project's default geodatabase at this time."

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Kory Kramer wrote:

"Enterprise geodatabases can't be used as a project's default geodatabase at this time."

That is a major problem for anyone that uses SDE which I would imagine is the majority of users.  

MichaelSakinejad2
New Contributor II

Will ArcGIS Pro ever have the capability to publish services directly to ArcGIS for Server?

DavidWheelock

I believe that Pro interacts with portals, either ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Portal.  ArcGIS Portal is part of ArcGIS Enterprise as it's now called, formerly ArcGIS Server.  To publish a map service you first connect to a portal, either Online or Portal.  Then you share a map as a service through that portal.  This appears to be how you create a map service on ArcGIS "Server" as we've been used to calling it. 

So it can be done.  If you want to publish to your own servers, you must first install ArcGIS Portal onto your ArcGIS Server/Enterprise machine, if you haven't done that already.  Then you can connect with Pro and create a map service. 

I haven't done this yet, myself, but this is my current understanding after seeing the ESRI ArcGIS travelling seminar today.  Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The funny part about having to connect to Portal to publish services, instead of just publishing directly to ArcGIS Server, is that Portal requires Named User licenses.  Whereas with ArcGIS Server you can purchase the software and have as many people you want connect to publish, Portal requires a license for each user to connect to publish.  You get to pay twice.

DavidWheelock

Wow!  Thanks for that detail.

Enforcement of named user licensing

http://server.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/administer/windows/enforcement-of-named-user-licensing.htm

ThomasHoman

I'm right there with you, Tom. If I had to drop ArcMap today for Pro I would, like you, be unable to accomplish a majority of my work.

While I see ESRI's desire to advance their environment Pro is a huge operational step into the dark ages. In their rush to get bling out the door they have, in my opinion, lost sight of the data management tasks that encompass day to day GIS work. If it is too much of a Pain in the A** to update the data how is the map going to look right.

Everyone makes mistakes - look and the number of bad, buggy, horrible releases Microsoft has put out over the years. No one remembers Windows prior to 3.0. I came into the ESRI environment around AV3.0 and the mechanics of the ArcMap environment are pretty much the same. Hopefully ESRI figures out their interface problem soon and we can get back to efficient work habits.

Respectfully,

Tom

NicolasMALIGM
New Contributor

"Annotations : Create, manage, and edit geodatabase annotation for specialized text positioning in an updated format for the ArcGIS Platform" :

should I understand that Pro will have a different management of 'Annotation class' with what we hace currently in Desktop or is it just some misunderstanding ? If so will it be easy to migrate former annotation data to Pro new format ?

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Nicolas MALIGM

These types of questions will be more productive in the ArcGIS Pro‌ space.

For the question about representations: Can you provide more details about what specifically you need to do with your symbology in ArcGIS Pro that isn't possible?  ArcGIS Pro can do a lot with built-in symbology that required the use of representations in ArcMap.  The graphics engine for Pro is different from ArcMap which has led to this slew of built-in functionality.  

For annotation: if you have existing annotation in a database as annotation feature classes, you can simply drag it into a Pro map and you'll see it.  At that point, it won't be editable, though.  

To edit the annotation, you will want to use the Upgrade Dataset—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop  tool.  That documentation, right now, does not refer to annotation, but at 2.0 it will include "annotation dataset."  As the tool upgrades the dataset in place, you should make a copy of the original, and then run the tool on the copy to be used in Pro.

OH, and I should mention that ArcGIS Pro Beta is coming soon.  See here if you're interested: ArcGIS Pro 2.0 Beta Coming Soon! | ArcGIS Blog 

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

relkins-esristaff‌, KKramer-esristaff‌; glad to see the Roadmap getting updated, today in fact, but I want to reiterate my request to create a "Document" and start separate discussions for each major update.  The comments for this blog post are already getting difficult to follow, I can't imagine how bad it will get in another 3 to 6 months when some of the earliest comments aren't even relevant because they have been addressed in subsequent releases.

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What about https://community.esri.com/groups/metadata?sr=search&searchId=912d34f4-66a5-495e-b333-634e6c695467&s...‌?  AFAIK it is currently read-only because of the lack of an x64 compatible XML parser or something along those lines.

NicolasMALIGM
New Contributor

Thanks Kory.

I put my questions here as I need answers in terms of roadmap : for now it seems just impossible to migrate our current production within Pro and we need to be sure what we will be able to do in 1 and 2 years. As we are also to start a new huge topographic production in parallel with different country/people, it is a strategic choice for us to choose if we are to invest again in ESRI as we can hardly afford to shift the way of working after just one or two years (it would be clearly great to start with Pro, not with ArcMap).

Certainly that I need to wait a few weeks to see what is available or not in 2.0, especially concerning annotations (we don't just need to display them, but also to edit them by hand for accurate positionning).

Representations : What we can't do now with Pro :

- import/convert our complex mxd : it crashes with "ArcGIS Pro has encountered a serious application error and is unable to continue" > I sent the error report)

- all our cartographic data is stored with representations and/or overrides directly within the geodatabase. It means that as I can't access to these representations when I drop my feature class in Pro 1) I loose my built-in symbology 2) I loose all my overrides which allow to edit symbology geometry without modifying the real feature geometry.

NB : as with annotations it is compulsory for high quality mapping to finalize by hand representations (without modifying the real feature) according to scale needs.

LeoLadefian5

connection favorites is a start, but pro needs a an arcatalog (windows explorer) interface.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Curtis Price‌ There are some known limitations for importing, exporting, and validating metadata that are mentioned here: Best practices for editing metadata—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop but as a general statement, metadata isn't read-only in Pro.

There is much that can be done currently in ArcGIS Pro with metadata.

View and edit metadata—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Create FGDC CSDGM metadata—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

... plus other topics listed in the left-hand panel of the online resources.