Sharing App and map content with public

Jump to solution
11-04-2023 12:42 PM
sr_guy
by
New Contributor III

I am trying to share a hosted map, web map, and web app with "everyone". The problem, that option is "greyed" out on the main host layer. I've tried everything, and am still unable to enable this option.

sr_guy_0-1699126821259.png

Here are my "settings" for the hosted layer:

sr_guy_1-1699126872336.png

I cannot share my web map, that is pointed in my web app without that option to share wih everybody. Has anyone ran into this issue that might have a solution?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlanCassidy
Esri Contributor

We recently disabled the ability to share certain hosted data services with the public for Developer accounts only. With the Data hosting feature of ArcGIS Platform coming out of beta on November 1st, usage is now metered on all hosted data services owned by Developer accounts only. In order to share any of your data with the public you must provide authentication to the service in the form of an API key or other authentication method. Please review the documentation at Data hosting as well as the manage sharing and security section.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

Did you tick the box for public data collection?

JohnPlunkett_0-1699234179743.png

(however, if you have editing enabled on this dataset in theory anyone could edit your data.)

0 Kudos
JillianStanford
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

Has your account been assigned a role with the "Share with public" privilege enabled?

Jill

0 Kudos
AlanCassidy
Esri Contributor

We recently disabled the ability to share certain hosted data services with the public for Developer accounts only. With the Data hosting feature of ArcGIS Platform coming out of beta on November 1st, usage is now metered on all hosted data services owned by Developer accounts only. In order to share any of your data with the public you must provide authentication to the service in the form of an API key or other authentication method. Please review the documentation at Data hosting as well as the manage sharing and security section.

PhilipThompson11
New Contributor II

Hi Alan, 

Through my Developer account, I can share private content via an API Key to a public map which I have software engineered through the Maps SDK. The SDK provides an opportunity to add that API Key.

esriConfig.apiKey = "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX";

const webmap = new WebMap({

portalItem: {

id: "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

}});

Through my Developer account I have the capability to create ArcGIS Map Viewer maps and ArcGIS Client applications. I am not restricted from making these public. However, I have no mechanism to add the API Key to those maps or applications.

• I can programmatically create a public map which accesses private content through an API Key
  • I can’t use the Map Viewer to create a public map which accesses private content through an API Key

If the intent of the API Key in this scenario is to provide metrication and security against hosted content, then an inability to bring this content to our maps and apps seems to be a gap. Am I missing a point of configuration?

MMM3
by
New Contributor II

Where does that code snippet go?  How does one "programmatically create a public map"?

Why did they make this harder than it was, like either way I'm responsible for my usage, why make it complicated?

I mean I can probably figure out the programmatic map, but like I just want to share the hosted layer with someone and seems like a lot of hoops to jump through vs the 1 click option I used to have.

PhilipThompson11
New Contributor II

It's from one of the developer samples: https://developers.arcgis.com/javascript/latest/tutorials/display-a-web-map/

However, I agree. Given I can make a public application through the Developer subscription, it's seems an oversight not to have some mechanism to pass an API Key into it in order to access my hosted content.

AlanCassidy
Esri Contributor

Hi Philip - Based on your overall comment you have the right understanding of how things work today.  To your last question, yes the intent of focusing developers on using API keys is for security reasons and to avoid users sharing their hosted content publicly inadvertently and then getting unexpected.  In addition, ArcGIS Online is better set up at this point for public sharing of hosted layers alone.  

0 Kudos
MitchMergen
New Contributor

This is still a problem. The whole ArcGIS Online / ArcGIS Developer / MyEsri system of relationships of user accounts & licenses is a mess. Somehow I have a Developer account that used to just be an ArcGIS Online Organizational account but was somehow converted to Developer account and my Developer Account is not connected to my MyEsri account and licenses, even though it says it is.

MMM3
by
New Contributor II

Wait until you try to change your email and there's no way to do it in all the places they have it saved