Searching for parcels using different APN format

12-08-2022 09:49 AM
Labels (1)
AndrewWallick
Occasional Contributor

We have our parcel names (APNs) stored as 9-digit numbers with no dashes or spaces (ex. 050550005). This works for several reasons and systems we have and won't be changing.

But when people discuss parcels, they usually use a 9-digit number with dashes or spaces separating the groups of 3 (ex. 050-550-005). We then need to edit out the dashes or spaces to search for the parcel. It's not a huge deal, but it would be nice to not have to do that.

Is there any way to configure the search function in Pro to be able to find the relevant parcels without changing the format?

Preferably we'd like to not add a separate field to store the APNs with dashes.

3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think the closest thing would be a second field with an Attribute Rule to pull them in. I can't really think of an easy, reliable way to get the search to work without just manually stripping out the hyphens. But with an Attribute Rule in place, you wouldn't really have to think about or even see that second field.

We see the same thing with our parcels. Personally, I like using the hyphens, as it reduces the points at which our "name" field might be incorrectly interpreted as integers by some other tool or software. Plus we do have some parcels that don't have a parcel number, so we can't assume our name field to have consistent formatting.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
AndrewWallick
Occasional Contributor

Does the Attribute Rule slow down your service though?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In general, an attribute rule can, but for something as simple as inserting or removing hyphens, I don't expect you'd notice. We have a few rules that edit one layer based on the edits and attributes of another, and even that does not cause a noticeable slowdown.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS