Parcels not building from Seed

10-28-2020 03:02 PM
JonathanMcDowell1
Occasional Contributor

I am having issues with building parcel after editing the boundaries. Here are the steps I am using to edit.

1. Select the parcels I want to edit.
  2. Click the "Shrink to Seed" tool.
  3. Edit the lines.
  4. Click the Build parcels tool.
  5. The parcels do not build.

What am I missing?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
FrankConkling
New Contributor III

Jonathan,

Without actually seeing the subject features, I would guess there are two possibilities:

1. The edited lines no longer "close" back onto themselves and do not form a closed polygon. 

2. The new lines are not associated with the record.  You might select the edited lines and assign them to the record.  The build process looks only at lines that are associated with the record when attempting to perform the build.

Good luck,

Frank Conkling

Panda Consulting

0 Kudos
JonathanMcDowell1
Occasional Contributor

I am shirking the parcel and not editing the lines. Then trying the build. That eliminates option one as the issues.

According to the demos and documentation, I do not need a plan to edit a parcel. So if number 2 is the issue then there is a bug. I did test selecting the lines and associated with the record and the parcel will still not build.

0 Kudos
FrankConkling
New Contributor III

Jonathan,

I just tested the procedure on my data and the lines (and seed) must be associated with the active Record in order to build.  If you still experience the issue, you might reach out to tech support.

Good luck,

Frank Conkling

0 Kudos
JonathanMcDowell1
Occasional Contributor

I finally got the build to work. I manually copied a record GUID into the line features.

Now, I have issues with how this works and the amount of work it will add to a basic edit. Based on what I am reading in the help documentation, I might as well create a record for every edit. If I am making a correction along a plat boundary I will need to build each plan separately. 

I am going to search the ideas to see if someone has suggested allowing parcels being build without a record. 

0 Kudos
KevinPriestley
Esri Contributor

In your original post, I think the step you've missed is to link your polygons to a parcel type in the parcel fabric. 

Going forward, you might consider this workflow: add parcels to a parcel type, create the parcels from seeds, validate topology errors, resolve validation errors, and then perform your quality edits.  

If you want to add polygons to an existing parcel type, you can do so using the Append tool. 

Unless you need to make some major edits so your parcel polygons match recorded legal descriptions, editing should come last.  That's because quality-driven edits (Adjusting boundary lines, aligning parcels with better aerial imagery, etc.) do not affect the parcel record or result in the creation of historic parcels. You will also have parcel topology applied, which can help solve duplication/overlap issues while validating and editing.

Here are some resources for this workflow:

1. Append data to the parcel fabric—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 
  2. Build parcels from polygons—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 
  3. Build parcels from lines—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 
  4. Parcel Fabric: Migrating and administrating parcels with ArcGIS Pro Video | Esri (1 hr 10 min)
0 Kudos
JonathanMcDowell1
Occasional Contributor

I have linked the polygons to a parcel type. Since I am not currently maintaining COGO attributes, I am using the "Build Parcels from Polygons" method to migrate to the parcel fabric.

Will review the documentation, it looks like I need to create the Record polygons before I build the fabric for the missing lines and points. Am I reading this correctly?

0 Kudos
KevinPriestley
Esri Contributor

One clarification from my above post.  With line data, you would use seeds to create polygons in the parcel fabric.  With polygon data, you can use the Append and Build Parcels tools, which will create parcel fabric polygons, lines and points.

Records exist for a few reasons: one, to link individual parcels to their corresponding recorded legal description; two, to link parcels with a parcel type in the fabric, and; three, for conformity with parcel fabric topology rules. Records can be created (and persisted) without a geometry--in other words, we can add a new record to the fabric called "New_Subdivision" without associating it to vector data.  To that end, "the record footprint or polygon matches the cumulative geometry of all the parcels associated with it."  

Without knowing more about your particular situation, here's a hypothetical example: Let's say we have a subdivision that's being installed in multiple phases, yet the entire development has the same record on a legal description with the county recorder.  The first phase is complete and has been added to our parcel fabric, and now we need to update the fabric with polygon data for the second phase of development.  Because the legal record on file with the county recorder is the same for both phases, we want to add the parcels of the second phase to an existing record.  In this example, we would:

1. append second phase polygons to the parcel type, 
  2. build parcels;
  3. update COGO (if needed)
  4. assign parcels to the record, 
  5. validate and fix topology errors (if needed)

Once we have assigned parcels to a record--in this case the same record as the first phase of development--the record feature will change in size to include the second phase of the development.

Are you migrating your fabric from an ArcMap fabric? If so, there's a slightly different workflow: Upgrade an ArcMap parcel fabric—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Here are a couple more resources about the parcel fabric data model and parcel records:

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Jonathan McDowell‌, Frank Conkling‌ and Kevin Priestley

The short answer:

Jon - for boundary lines that are associated with different records you should be using this workflow:

1. Create or activate a record
  2. Copy Lines to active record
  3. Modify boundaries
  4. Build active record

But what if all you wanted to do is fix boundary lines WITHOUT creating a parcel lineage? Meaning a 'Quality driven workflow'?

The Shrink to Seed command does shrink the parcel to a seed but currently Build Active and Build Extent will only build a parcel when all the enclosing parcel lines are associated to the same record.

For a 'bounds' land description, by definition, the parcel can be defined by multiple bounding lines, where each could have been defined by a different record.

Bad news: Building parcels from parcels associated to multiple records is currently not supported. 

Good news: we have identified this and are planning to enhance the build to explicitly build parcels from closed loops that are associated to multiple records.

Amir

JeffHyder
New Contributor III

Has this been addressed yet. I am mapping a newly recorded plat and creating a record for said plat. After I have created that record and placed it correctly on my map I select all the surrounding parcels I create seeds for each of those parcels then edit my parcel lines according to the newly recorded plat. I am wanting to do what is shown in this video, https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-parcel-fabric-videos/what-s-new-parcel-fabric-arcgis-pro-2-6/td... starting around the 38 minute mark. Using the shrink to seed option and a quality driven workflow without those surrounding parcels being attached to the record.

0 Kudos