Select to view content in your preferred language

Parcel Fabric correction methods??

Jump to solution
07-19-2023 11:31 AM
SenecaFrancis
Occasional Contributor

We are just starting to consider the parcel fabric, so to test it I imported a subdivision that we had COGO lines for and connection lines. I am trying to figure out how best to correct when the surveyors bearing and distances between section corners are different then what we calculate. Currently I would rotate the COGO to match our bearing. 

SenecaFrancis_0-1689791321590.png

I did talk to some of the parcel experts at the UC and they made it look easy, but I cannot get it work.

What is the best tool or work flow for this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimHodson
Esri Contributor

Yes, the best practice would be to set the ground to grid correction first, and then use the COGO entry tools such as traverse, direction/distance, and so on, while using COGO-enabled lines. All the lines in the fabric are COGO enabled, and so there is no difference when using connection lines. The general workflow in the fabric, would be to use the connection lines to start at the commencement point, and then COGO to the point of beginning, then switch to the lines for the parcel type you are using, and enter the COGO for the parcel's lines.

Here's another video recording from our meetup on the topic of COGO:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-parcel-fabric-videos/meetup-entering-cogo-measurements-in-arcgi...

-Tim

View solution in original post

5 Replies
TimHodson
Esri Contributor

Hi @SenecaFrancis , using your example COGO line, I made a video showing how to set the ground to grid correction using the Interactive tool, and then using the Direction Distance tool after the correction has been set to create the line geometry between the two points. Since the correction is turned on, the end point of the line now matches the position of the "to" point.

SenecaFrancis
Occasional Contributor

Thank you! How does this work using a connection line in the parcel fabric? Is the best practice to calculate the ground to grid first then redraw everything with the correction on or would the align parcels tool do this?

0 Kudos
TimHodson
Esri Contributor

Yes, the best practice would be to set the ground to grid correction first, and then use the COGO entry tools such as traverse, direction/distance, and so on, while using COGO-enabled lines. All the lines in the fabric are COGO enabled, and so there is no difference when using connection lines. The general workflow in the fabric, would be to use the connection lines to start at the commencement point, and then COGO to the point of beginning, then switch to the lines for the parcel type you are using, and enter the COGO for the parcel's lines.

Here's another video recording from our meetup on the topic of COGO:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-parcel-fabric-videos/meetup-entering-cogo-measurements-in-arcgi...

-Tim

SenecaFrancis
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @TimHodson. I will try that adjustment method with the lines we already have.

0 Kudos
TimHodson
Esri Contributor

The ground to grid correction is applied when the data is entered. If you need to rotate and scale the features after they've already been created then a different approach will be needed to do that. There are a couple of options, you can set the ground to grid as before and then use the Trace lines button in the traverse tool, as explained in the above referenced video, around 31m29s. This should apply the ground to grid to the lines you trace.
You could also use the rotate and scale tools on the selected line features (and polygons if needed.) Turn off the map or gdb topology (optional but depends on the situation) and then select the features you want to rotate and scale. Since you know the scale and rotation from the computed ground to grid, you can set the anchor at the commencement point location and then use the ‘A’ and ‘F’ shortcut keys to get the dialogs to type in the rotation [A]ngle and scale [F]actor as follows:

ScaleAndRotate.gif