It appears that Divide Lines does not have a way to keep the parent line attributes. Is this correct?

Jump to solution
02-14-2022 09:40 AM
Labels (1)
DeanAnderson2
Occasional Contributor II

I am working with the Divide Line tool.  My line feature class has several key attributes. When I divide the line (ie. 200 feet from beginning).  The tool creates the two new lines correctly.  The parent has the retired by record field assigned correctly making the parent line historic.  So Far all is good. 

Unfortunately, I have a number of attributes (such as LineType) that are not replicated in the children while others (cogo attributes and a field called source) are. Is this the expected behavior ?  (Also I am using 2.8.3).  The documentation is pretty clear that it should keep the attributes.  I am just not sure why my linetype is not kept (it has a domain) and why I lost my cogo distance on the remainder. 

DeanAnderson2_0-1644861417484.png

Please let me know 

Thanks 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This sort of thing is governed by domain split / merge policies.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.7/help/data/geodatabases/overview/an-overview-of-attribute-domai...

Split policies are:

• Default value—The attributes of the two resulting features take on the default value for the attribute of the given feature class or subtype.
  • Duplicate—The attribute of the two resulting features takes on a copy of the original object's attribute value.
  • Geometry ratio—The attributes of resulting features are a ratio of the original feature's value. The ratio is based on the ratio in which the original geometry is divided. If the geometry is divided equally, each new feature's attribute gets one-half of the value of the original object's attribute. Geometry ratio policies only apply to domains for numeric field types.

It sounds like you want to set yours to Duplicate for things like the LineType field.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

TimHodson
Esri Contributor

@DeanAnderson2, this is a bug that is present in 2.8 and earlier. It has been fixed in 2.9. If you are already on 2.9, then please let us know so that we can follow up. The second line's COGO distance is calculated, so if you are using the parcel fabric, then you should see the COGO Type field set to "Computed".

View solution in original post

9 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This sort of thing is governed by domain split / merge policies.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.7/help/data/geodatabases/overview/an-overview-of-attribute-domai...

Split policies are:

• Default value—The attributes of the two resulting features take on the default value for the attribute of the given feature class or subtype.
  • Duplicate—The attribute of the two resulting features takes on a copy of the original object's attribute value.
  • Geometry ratio—The attributes of resulting features are a ratio of the original feature's value. The ratio is based on the ratio in which the original geometry is divided. If the geometry is divided equally, each new feature's attribute gets one-half of the value of the original object's attribute. Geometry ratio policies only apply to domains for numeric field types.

It sounds like you want to set yours to Duplicate for things like the LineType field.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
DeanAnderson2

Had not used that for domains before.  That fixes the domain attribute. As to the CoGo Attributes I am not sure what is up.  I just entered one line using traverse.  (n44-00-00e 200 feet long) as below. 

DeanAnderson2_0-1644869445688.png

I then use the divide tool and divided the line from start of line 100 feet and the results are: 

DeanAnderson2_1-1644869518081.png

What I expect to have happen (and based on your response) would be two lines both with a length of 100. Instead my second line (while retaining the direction) has a NULL distance.  Is this the correct behavior? 

I am not getting something. 

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That does not look like normal behavior. If I try the same thing, I get <remainder line length> = <parent line length> - <division length>. In your example line, a 100.

Where is the line coming from? Is it being added as a true COGO-enabled line?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
DeanAnderson2

First - thanks so much for help on the duplicate domain issue.  That fixed the problem. 

On my second issue.  I was concerned about the line so I created a NEW line with the traverse tool (just a simple 200 foot long straight line as illustrated above).  Attribute for cogo enabled was "entered" so not sure what is going on. 

Glad it works as expected for you. At least that means I understand how it is supposed to work.  Now just have to figure out what is wrong.

I am not sure what a "true COGO-Enabled Line" is.  I have replicated my problem using my converted taxlotline COGO data from ArcMap (non-fabric) and also from newly created lines.  We have been testing and using other commands such as Traverse on this dataset for months and it has been operating correctly (as expected).  I have also replicated my problem on a non-fabric COGO feature class that has had the "Enable COGO tool" run.  I assume this makes a COGO line?  So I think I am using COGO enabled lines.  I there some setting I missed? 

0 Kudos
DeanAnderson2

Doing more checking.  My COGO lines appear to be OK.  When I do a line intersection and do not "Recalculate COGO Attributes" the tool calculates the cogo attributes correctly from the parent.  In the following attribute list the intersecting line is non-cogo. It is intersecting with a COGO line that has a distance of 199 ft. The two distances total to 199 feet after the intersection (as a further test this was a closed line with a one foot error. It all operated as expected. 

DeanAnderson2_0-1644878206820.png

0 Kudos
DeanAnderson2

Final Test - Created a new geodatabase, Created a new line feature class, ran Enable CoGo tool.  Entered a four sided box (1000,1000,1000,999).  Closed it.  All looks good.  Divided the north line (1000 foot) as follows: 

DeanAnderson2_1-1644879576873.png

Exhibits same behavior as before.  Second COGO line has no distance as follows: 

DeanAnderson2_2-1644879623637.png

When I use the percentage option, or equal parts option in works fine (of course). 

I continue to be confused. 

0 Kudos
TimHodson
Esri Contributor

@DeanAnderson2, this is a bug that is present in 2.8 and earlier. It has been fixed in 2.9. If you are already on 2.9, then please let us know so that we can follow up. The second line's COGO distance is calculated, so if you are using the parcel fabric, then you should see the COGO Type field set to "Computed".

TimHodson
Esri Contributor

@DeanAnderson2- I just read from your original post that you are on 2.8.3. As mentioned in the prior response, this is fixed in 2.9.

DeanAnderson2

Thanks Tim. 

0 Kudos