Ghost parcels, or intermediate parcels - how to handle in fabric?

03-15-2023 09:05 AM
Labels (1)
AndrewWallick
Occasional Contributor II

Does anyone else have "ghost parcels," or something similar? We have these as intermediate parcels that are used to calculate assessed value for the final parcels. They are basically the smallest parcel shapes involved in a Lot Line Adjustment. These are then merged to create the final child parcels.

We need to start drawing them in the fabric as an intermediate step before creating the final child parcels to calculate the acreage of them. In the past we have just ignored them, and gone straight from the parent parcels to drawing the child parcels.

My question is: how should we handle these in the data model? I don't want them in either the current or historic parcels. But I also don't want to just get the acreage, then delete them; we might want to go back and refer to them.

I'm thinking maybe we create a separate parcel type for them, but I'm not sure how the workflow would look to create them in the regular Tax parcel feature class, then move them over to their separate parcel feature class.

Has anyone else found a good method for doing this, or have suggestions?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
anna_garrett
Occasional Contributor III

I would just create a new parcel type for them. You can use the duplicate parcel tool to do something like:

Duplicate parent tax parcel to acreage adjustment parcels

Perform adjustments

Set parent parcel historic

Duplicate adjustment parcels back to tax parcels, merge

Unless I'm misunderstanding your process? Custom parcel types are really whatever you need them to be.

AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

If you want to keep them in order to be able to understand how the parcels got created (clipped and merged), you can wither create a separate parcel type for them as @anna_garrett suggests. 
Just keep in mind that having too many parcel types has a performance hit (opening database cursors....), so you can also consider have a parcel category for those - just add a field with a domain to manage them, symbolize them in the layer, update the editing feature templates etc. If you want these parcels to be in a separate layer, you can use definition queries.
The Parcel Transfer tool also be considered for this type of workflows.

0 Kudos