Select to view content in your preferred language

Can you change task views on the fly?

10-05-2022 12:48 PM
DeanAnderson2
Frequent Contributor

We have recently begun using different "maps" to help organize edit workflows for parcel fabric. We have also been using Tasks.  Unfortunately, it appears that Task "map views" can ONLY be set at design time using the task design environment and there is no setting for "use current or activemap".  In the example below (very simplified) "Map1" is the active map for the task.  If I want to use "Map" I have to open the designer and select it as the active map or press the "CurrentView" button at the bottom of the screen and if "Map" is the active view it will set it.   But, again this only works at design time.  

DeanAnderson2_0-1664998651557.png

If so, tasks are tied to a specific view or map and whenever someone changes the map name all tasks associated with the map must also be changed.  

I feel like I am missing something so any clarification would be greatly appreciated.  If this is how it works I will need to re-think some things. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JasonCamerano
Esri Contributor

Hey @DeanAnderson2 

While it is true that the maps that will be configured and controlled by a Task need to be present during design time, they can however have their names changed after Design.  As long as they are in the same project. 

For example, I have Map1 and I have a task that is controlling/opening/closing that map.  If I later decide to rename that map within the project to "MyParcelMap" then the Task will know that is the same map and will continue to control that map. If I create a new map and call it Map1 thinking that the Task with now control that map, it will not and it will have to be re-mapped in the Designer and point to that map.  The variable within the Task does not rely on the name but a unique key that is associated to each Map within the project. 

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@DeanAnderson2 

If your task does control any layers, meaning it does not change any contents settings and has no action associated with any of the layers, than you should be able to "fool" it by changing the map name as @JasonCamerano  suggests.

However, if you do control\use a layer, then it would fail. That is because you might have 2 or more layers with the same name in a map, and we use the layers unique identifier (CIMPath).

Maybe what you are looking for is a new capability to use Python to set configure/map the task items' resources?!

While you might be able to "fool" tasks to use a s

0 Kudos