Select to view content in your preferred language

Can someone give me insight on what "Shrink to seed" does? I have set up a custom symbology but that tool is having issues.

03-15-2023 02:19 PM
Labels (2)
MatthewBeal
Occasional Contributor III

I had the goal of adding a third symbology class to my standard parcel fabric set up. I wanted some sort of visual indicator on parcels that were outside of our error tolerance. For instance, if a parcels deeded (stated) acreage is 10 acres, but the calculated acreage is only 8.5, I wanted that parcel to be highlighted in red since it is outside our target threshold of 10%. Setting up the symbology was fairly easy. I just tweaked the existing symbology expression from this:

MatthewBeal_1-1678914737801.png

to this:

MatthewBeal_0-1678914711520.png

That allowed me to set up the symbology that I was going for:

MatthewBeal_0-1678915271869.png

MatthewBeal_2-1678914784678.png

However, in my editing after, I noticed an unexpected behavior when using the "Shrink to Seed" tool. Rather than shrinking shirnking and applying the default blue symbology for a parcel seed, it shrinks and applies the error symbology.

MatthewBeal_4-1678914992496.png

It seems to be recognized as a seed since it is getting labeled by the seed label class, but it is also getting labeled by the Error label class, and I can't quite figure out why. Are there any hidden facets to the "Shrink to Seed" tool that could be causing this? Have I just missed something in my symbology tweaks? I would greatly appreciate any assistance that anyone could provide!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MatthewBeal
Occasional Contributor III

I was able to resolve the issue, through rephrasing the symbology expression to this:

MatthewBeal_0-1678916934475.png

I am not really sure why that resolved the issue, but it did. When I use the shrink to seed tool now, it applies the correct symbology:

MatthewBeal_1-1678917010061.png

If someone could fill me in on what the difference maker was, I would appreciate it! Just thankful to have it resolved either way, though!

0 Kudos
DanielStone
Esri Contributor

Hi Matt, 

Not sure about the logic in your 1st version.   I'd have to test it. 

In your 2nd version, if it is a seed, the logic immediately exits and returns seed.  It should never execute the other else if statements. 

I don't have your data to try, but this logic should work as well:

If  ($feature.IsSeed!=1) {

if ($feature.ERROR_ACRES > ( $feature.StatedArea * 0.1)) ||  ($feature.ERROR_ACRES < ( $feature.StatedArea * -0.1))

{

return "Check acreage error";

}

else  if ($feature.ERROR_ACRES < ( $feature.StatedArea * 0.1)) ||  ($feature.ERROR_ACRES > ( $feature.StatedArea * -0.1))

{

return "Parcel";

}

else{

return "Seed";

}

0 Kudos