Exposing Direction Types in Parcel Fabric Least Squares Adjustment

09-10-2020 04:30 PM
LucasBeauchamp
New Contributor III

We've had the discussion on including different direction types as part of the parcel fabric. Last I heard it was on the product plan to implement these in the future. I believe we discussed including support for mean geodetic bearings and possibly astronomic bearings. 

Based on the meetup presentation held on 9/9/2020 DynAdjust supports these direction types and I'm proposing that these are implemented to correlate with the direction types available in the parcel fabric.

This would allow the adjustment engine to handle the directions entered as they should based on the direction type and lead to greater accuracy and precision when working with geodetic, astronomic, or data with a mixture of direction types.

Amir Bar-Maor

Tim Hodson

7 Comments
TimHodson

Thank you Lucas for your feedback on the Meetup about Dynadjust. Support for these measurement types is still in the product plan for the future. Per our discussion earlier in the year on this topic, we will be reaching out to you / BLM to work with us on it to make sure we get it right before it's released.

-Tim

JerryNeff97

Hi Tim

Any updates on this support for mean geodetic bearings in the least squares? We have been getting less than desirable results with the ArcPro parcel fabric adjustments and I am starting to think that this is the root of the issue.

Thanks

Jerry

TimHodson

Hi Jerry,

On the least squares adjustment front for 3.1, our focus has been on improvements for handling Z attributes/elevations on fabric points. Support for geodetic bearings is still in the product plan, and we've moved into the design phase. I hope to be able to report more progress in this when we meet in Redlands next month.

-Tim

JasonCamerano

@LucasBeauchamp 

I'm happy to inform that this request has been implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.2!

LucasBeauchamp

Fantastic! Thanks I'll give the video a watch when I get a chance

AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: Implemented

Implemented with ArcGIS Pro 3.2

TimHodson

Looking forward to hear all of your feedback!

With today's release of 3.2, here’s the updated doc that covers the support for the new measurement types in the least squares adjustment. See the section called “Geodetic azimuths and ellipsoid arc distances in the least-squares adjustment”.

Also, the following help doc has been updated to include the new step (Step 5) in the configuration to ensure that the adjustment analysis layers for Geodetic Azimuth and Ellipsoid arc distances show up in the table of contents when you run the least squares:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/parcel-editing/use-geodetic-directions.htm

-Tim