Select to view content in your preferred language

Create a 'Show Only Current' button on the Parcel Record Workflows ribbon (or Parcel Utilities Add-In)

08-28-2024 12:16 PM
MizukiKayano2
Regular Contributor

In our organization, we have several parcel types to maintain. We also need to be able to easily select both active and historic parcels (for queries, for LSA analysis, etc.). For this reason, we have spent a considerable amount of time customizing the OOTB symbology for the parcel fabric. Instead of separating the historic parcels into separate group layers (and then having several additional items to enable and disable visibility on), we have opted to have only one layer for each parcel type in our TOC, and we distinguish the historic parcels through labeling (strikethroughs are historic): 

MizukiKayano2_0-1724872252018.png

This structure has allowed us to significantly streamline our TOC, plus it makes it much easier is to enable visibility of our parcel features (no more going into several group layers to find what we need). 

When we do want to view only current parcels, we have a definition query in the layer properties and we can go and enable that, but we have to do so on each feature within the parcel fabric. What would make things so much easier for us is if there was a 'Show Only Current' button (similar to the Show Only Active button). When enabled, the Show Only Current button would apply a definition query so that only parcels, lines and points where RetiredByRecord is NULL are visible. When the 'Show Only Current' button is disabled, the definition query would clear and all parcel features would be visible. 

A 'Show Only Current' button would be extremely useful for any organization that veers from the OOTB symbology of separating historic features into different group layers in the TOC. 

8 Comments
anna_garrett

this 100% needs to happen and i don't know why it hasn't already. 

Syvertson

Yes.  Yes.  YES!  

This is definitely a needed enhancement.  I hope this is adopted very soon!

AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

@MizukiKayano2 

Did you consider using multiple maps in ArcGIS Pro? You can have a map for LSA, a map for editing etc.

ArcGIS Pro 3.4 symbology will allow you to turn on off specific symbol (for the unique value renderer), so if you have different symbol for historic versus current parcels you'll be able to easily turn on and off the visibility of current / historic parcels.

Given the 3.4 enhancement, I don't think a new button is needed. What do you think?

AmirBarMaor_0-1724924339660.png

AmirBarMaor_1-1724924362899.png

anna_garrett

@AmirBar-Maor how would this (multiple maps) affect performance versus just having the button? not everyone in my org has a top of the line computer and if i roll this out and it takes them twice (if not more) as long to load, how does that solve the problem?

AmirBar-Maor

@anna_garrett 

If I understand you correctly you are concerned about the performance impact of having multiple maps in a project.

The short answer is that it should not have any impact.
A map in a project does not impact the performance until it is opened. So you can have a 100 maps in a project but only the one that is open impacts the performance.

So just avoid having multiple maps open and drawing at the same time.

I would put more attention to making sure each map is optimized:

1. Layers use scale dependency
  2. Labels use scale dependency
  3. Avoiding too many layers
  4. Using definition queries that run on fields that are indexed and are not too taxing
  5. ...

MizukiKayano2

@AmirBar-Maor 

The ability to turn off certain symbol is very cool - but it won't work in this specific case, because we don't have symbology based on the historic and current status.

What we have is this:
4 parcel types, each symbolized by parcel classes, 5 line types symbolized by line types, and a Points layer. We're not trying to turn off some of these; we want to blanket-apply RetiredByRecord is NULL to all of these layers.

MizukiKayano2_0-1724953770433.png

Also, we perform various tasks within the same session. Research, LSA, edits are not separate workflows, but rather a part of a single workflow, so it wouldn't be efficient to have separate Maps.

AmirBar-Maor

Thanks for the additional input @MizukiKayano2 .

Other options to consider are:

1. The use of Display Filters. Although they have to be applied to each layer individually.
  2. A python script that changes the layer definition (CIM) of all the layers in your map.

AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: Under Consideration

TBD:
1. Is this idea only relevant to the unique map configuration posted by @MizukiKayano2 or is it also applicable for customers that use a separate layer for historic parcels?

2. What would be the performance impact of setting a definition query to many layers?

Please add your comments to help us answer the first question above