Select to view content in your preferred language

Will the publicly shared AGOL layer in my published map continue to show live data as it gets updated by the owner (not me)?

Jump to solution
Wednesday
Labels (3)
Sean_Wray
Occasional Contributor II

I am connected to a publicly shared AGOL layer in ArcPro (not my data). I made a publicly shared table in my AGOL and joined it to the other data set in ArcPro and published a map.

Question: Will the publicly shared AGOL layer in my published map continue to show live data as it gets updated by the owner (not me)?

This is a lookup so that the popup will display a description of a code rather than only a code. This way the user knows what the data means. I did this in ArcPro because the join will not work in AGOL.

I am trying to join the field below in this data (not mine) CULV_COND_RTNG: https://services.arcgis.com/KTcxiTD9dsQw4r7Z/arcgis/rest/services/TxDOT_Bridges/FeatureServer

to the field below in this table (my data table) CODE: https://services6.arcgis.com/eNPJk90aMrXNOKF8/arcgis/rest/services/Culvert_Condition_Lookup/FeatureS...

I posted this in the ArcPro forum and have not received any comments there. Maybe I'll have better luck over here.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Yup updated the expression above to mirror your field.

RussRoberts_1-1723047343067.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You would need to own both and do a view join to have. This blog might help you out 

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/data-management/join-us-in-welcoming-joined-...

0 Kudos
Sean_Wray

@RussRoberts Problem: The bridge data (data I do not own) has several fields that contain a numeric code. The code descriptions are available in a PDF. I want to be able to display the code description in a popup AND I want the bridge data to stay current without having to re-publish. This way, when the bridge data is updated by the owner (not me) my map shows the current data.

Maybe there is another way to solve this problem? I'm open to ideas.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Off the top of my head couple ideas

- You would you would create your own layer and extract then append new data to the layer you own. 

- Use the bridge layer that the other group owns and in Map Viewer or Pro define an arcade expression for the popup to change the codes to a readable description. 

var material = $feature.CULV_COND_RTNG;

When(
    material == "N","Unknown",
    material == "7","Aluminum",
    material == "6","Steel",
    material == "5","Cast Iron",
    material == "4","Plastic",
    'something')

0 Kudos
Sean_Wray

I'm not super great at Arcade expressions, but that sounds doable. I'll give it a shot. I should be able to figure out the expression. In the expression above is 'material' the field name?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Yup updated the expression above to mirror your field.

RussRoberts_1-1723047343067.png

0 Kudos
Sean_Wray

@RussRoberts this will work! Thanks for your time!

0 Kudos