What is the size limit for a domain ?

03-30-2021 07:17 PM
Labels (1)
NickShannon2
New Contributor III

That is, how many rows or values can a domain support? 

I am looking at creating a drop-down list for Road Names — but it's over 70k records.  ArcGIS Pro did not like this! 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

ArcGIS Pro did not like this!

What did it say?

A drop down list of 70K records seems a bit much.  Is there any other way you can group the data? like using the alphabet? a region within the city? perform a query?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I am looking at creating a drop-down list for Road Names — but it's over 70k records. 

Is this part of the Address Data Management Solution?  If so, that's one of the reasons I elected no to use the Master Street Name file to Domain task in our deployment.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
NickShannon2
New Contributor III

@JoeBorgione 

Not part of a data management solution — just a way to improve data entry.  Incidentally, we've decided to go with free text instead. 

@DanPatterson 

Are you suggesting using subtypes  — roads by suburb. Yeah, this is an option. 

Update: I created a domain with 50k records by using 'integer' as the field type (i.e. integer for the coded value).  Previously I was using text which probably blew out the size. 

It actually works pretty well in ArcGIS Online — the drop-down list is responsive.  But, ArcGIS Pro 2.4.1 doesn't like it at all.  I have to use ArcMap to update the domain. 

Anyway, we've decided to go with free text for now — much easier.  

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Don't get me wrong, I like using domains, but IMHO they do have a limit in effectiveness.  Something to consider as well is if you are planning to use the 'dynamic domain' approach in an enterprise geodatabase, only the domain owner can make any changes to its contents.  If you have multiple editors logging on with individual user names, they won't be able to update the domain.

You should really consider upgrading your deployment of of Pro: it's at 2.7.x now and 2.8 gets released next month.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos