Web Map Goes White After Adding New Layer

01-26-2023 05:06 PM
HereLA
by
New Contributor

Whenever I add a feature layer I created in ArcGIS Online to a web map the entire screen/map goes white. Nothing I've tried restore the map works and I've had to restart dozens of maps because of this. What is the issue?

9 Replies
Richard_Purkis
Esri Contributor

Hi @HereLA 

I have not seen this before but there is a related support article which covers ArcGIS Online as well as ArcGIS Dashboards:

I hope it leads you to a resolution

0 Kudos
MikeRodriguez
New Contributor II

Hi @HereLA ,

I just experienced this issue yesterday. I removed the feature layer and my work all came back. I still can't figure out why I'm experiencing this issue. Before sharing this specific Feature Class as a Web Layer, all other layers worked fine. 

In ArcGIS Pro 3.1.1, I tried Feature Class to Feature Class to see if that was the case and shared it as a Web Layer. Yet again, all of my work disappears when adding it in my web map. 

KendraGibbons
New Contributor

Hey Mike, did you figure out what was causing this, or a workaround? I have a feature service that was working fine for months and is now turning the whole screen white when the users turn on the layer. Other layers above this layer are showing now on a blank white background, so it's just that one layer. I have tried republishing the service and unloading and reloading it from the webmap, but nothing seems to work.

0 Kudos
ScottBeatty
New Contributor

I'm having the same issue - I added 3 feature layers to a web map and now all I have is a white screen.

0 Kudos
MikeRodriguez
New Contributor II

Hey @KendraGibbons  & @ScottBeatty ,

My solution was to go back into ArcGIS Pro, Export the feature as a shapefile, zip the file and upload that zip file into AGOL. 

@KendraGibbons I am so sorry for the late reply!

KendraGibbons
New Contributor

Thanks @MikeRodriguez . I've just realized that I'm posting this to AGOL but we're on Enterprise. Based on your response though it sounds like an issue reading the feature from the source - I'll look into our database and see if there's anything there that might be the culprit. 

CherieBryant
New Contributor III

I just had the same thing happen. I created the layer in AGOL itself rather than publishing from Pro. Added it to my webmap. No problems until I went to save. I got the message asking if I wanted to update sharing, I clicked OK, then the whole map went blank. Removing the new layer & resaving hasn't made it come back. Likewise, I tried deleting the layer completely from my content, but my original map is still blank. The styles pane still shows the symbology - the map is just blank. Screenshot attached.

Anyone solved this yet? Unfortunately, this fed a dashboard so beyond remaking the map & symbols, I'll need to reconnect all the dashboard elements. 

0 Kudos
CherieBryant
New Contributor III

Update on this one. In the web map, I deleted the problem layer and then added back a random new layer just to test what happened. The whole map came back in the web map viewer. It still did not show in my dashboard, however, so I had to add it as a new element & reconnect the dashboard elements. That's much better than recreating the map itself since there were custom symbols & filter expressions.

Odd thing, I had a list in the dashboard that would zoom on the old map when clicked. The map reappeared when I zoomed, but when I clicked the list item again to un-zoom, it went back to a blank map.

0 Kudos
KylieEtter
New Contributor

I had this same issue so came looking to the internet for help. @CherieBryant I had the same issue of deleting the problem layer didn't do anything, but adding another random layer helped like you said. 

I realized the new layer I created was all the way zoomed out, so when adding it the whole map would zoom all the way out until it was white. I changed the extent of the layer to only be the area I need in the map, and when I re-added the layer it solved the issue for me!

0 Kudos