Web AppBuilder: "My Location" - Widget

Jump to solution
04-07-2015 11:29 PM
JohannesFuchs
Esri Contributor

Hi all,

in all web apps built with Web AppBuilder you can perform the "my location" widget. I am interested in the sources used in this widget to find the actual position of the user. Is it the GPS signal of the mobile device and surrounding wifi? Is it just GPS? Are the same sources used as in, for example, Google maps? Is there any difference?

I could not find any Information so far in the ressources. It would be great if you can give me a hint!

Thanks in advance,

Johannes

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Johannes,

In the context of Web App Builder, it is very dependent on the device being used.  WAB is using the JavaScript API's LocateButton which gets position information from navigator.geolocation specification.  So on an iPhone it would be getting a GPS feed that would be further improved with a WiFi connection.  The iPhone could be connected to a higher quality GPS unit via bluetooth and get even better quality positioning.

You can find more information about the navigator.geolocation specification at:

Geolocation API Specification

Regards,

Tom

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Johannes,

In the context of Web App Builder, it is very dependent on the device being used.  WAB is using the JavaScript API's LocateButton which gets position information from navigator.geolocation specification.  So on an iPhone it would be getting a GPS feed that would be further improved with a WiFi connection.  The iPhone could be connected to a higher quality GPS unit via bluetooth and get even better quality positioning.

You can find more information about the navigator.geolocation specification at:

Geolocation API Specification

Regards,

Tom

JohannesFuchs
Esri Contributor

Thank you, Tom!

Johannes

0 Kudos
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

You are welcome!