Visibility scales

Jump to solution
11-07-2018 06:25 AM
SimonCrutchley
Occasional Contributor III

Is it possible to have two sets of visibility scales for layers on a map in ArcGIS online, so that a feature appears at a given scale, then disappears, then reappears again as you zoom further in? I guess I'm asking a pretty unusual question and it wouldn't be a common requirement, but I thought I might as well ask.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

The only way I know to do that is add the layer twice, each with their own visibility scales.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

The only way I know to do that is add the layer twice, each with their own visibility scales.

SimonCrutchley

Thanks Robert. I suspected as much, but think it might be confusing to users of the final app if a layer appears twice, so I guess I'll leave it on between max and min.

Cheers

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Don't forget to mark this question as answered by clicking on the "Mark Correct" link on the reply that answered your question.

0 Kudos
SimonCrutchley

Hi Robert,

I was planning to leave it open for a day or so, just in case someone, somewhere has ever had to do this and found a way. I suspect not, but don't want to miss any opportunities. If I don't hear by next week I'll mark it answered on Monday.

Thanks

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Simon,

You will need to add the layer twice and set specific scales for each layer. As long as you don't use the layer list widget or enable users to turn the layers on and off, the viewer of the app probably won't see two layers.

-Kelly

SimonCrutchley

Hi Kelly,

Unfortunately, it's key to the app that users can turn layers on and off, so I guess I'm stuck.

Thanks for your help

Simon

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the feedback Simon,

Can you log an idea about your specific need. I haven't heard this request before, so it would be helpful to understand the workflow and if others are looking to accomplish a similar workflow.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
SimonCrutchley

Hi Kelly,

This is the situation. I'm making available links to a series of reports on different projects. I have created a centre point and a buffer for each on the map, and ideally I'd like to have just the points showing at the maximum, country scale, zoom; then as you zoom, in the buffers appear and the points disappear, so as to make the map less cluttered. However, when you zoom right in, towards the town or streets scale, then the buffer, which is no longer accurate, would disappear to be replaced by the point again.

Because we have a series of layers, depending on report types, some of which are large landscapes which tend to dominate, it's imperative for users to be able to turn them on and off.

Is that enough detail? I would point you at the live map, but our web page has fallen over

0 Kudos
SimonCrutchley
0 Kudos