Using collector, exporting data to a form

Jump to solution
02-16-2016 12:12 PM
AndrewKuder
New Contributor

Looking to improve upon how our inspectors collect information in the field on linear projects.  Currently they use a word document to convey all the information collected in the field but I'd like to streamline that process.  I have experience using the AGOL platform to create apps for collector so that isn't the issue.  What I'm curious about is success people have had taking the information from collector and exporting it into a form, either in excel or word?  I know Survey 123 could potentially solve this issue but since it's still in beta I was hoping for other suggestions.  Thanks 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

All,

I realize this is an older thread, but I wanted to respond to Andrew's original comment:

> What I'm curious about is success people have had taking the information from collector and exporting it into a form, either in excel or word?  I know Survey 123 could potentially solve this issue but since it's still in beta I was hoping for other suggestions

FYI, this workflow is now fully supported as Survey123 is no longer in beta. You can use Collector out in the field and get to a location, then click on a feature and in its pop-up, activate a form in Survey123. To learn more, see this blog post:

https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/07/30/understanding-survey123s-custom-url-sche... 

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PeteCrosier
Occasional Contributor III

The simplest way is to export your hosted feature class in AGOL to a CSV, then download that from AGOL and open it in Excel. You could then do some processing in Excel - or if you want to get fancier, you could have Desktop scripts that read through the feature classes that Collector writes to and pull information out in to validated, formatted spreadsheet output. This was our method for dealing with data generated by 15 full-time Collector field workers - we had to automate some of the process or we couldn't keep up with our collectors!

Survey123 does have much nicer forms than Collector, but I find Collector better in most other ways. I also think Survey is a bit ugly - whoever designed the upcoming Workforce for ArcGIS interface was definitely a different person to the one who designed Survey (apologies to anyone involved reading this!). This sort of mirrors my experience across the Esri suite of products - they're not too consistent.

0 Kudos
deleted-user-lwkurIII0T1f
New Contributor II

Can you share your script for this?

0 Kudos
AjitkumarBabar
Occasional Contributor II

You can develop custom application ArcGIS Runtime SDK.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

All,

I realize this is an older thread, but I wanted to respond to Andrew's original comment:

> What I'm curious about is success people have had taking the information from collector and exporting it into a form, either in excel or word?  I know Survey 123 could potentially solve this issue but since it's still in beta I was hoping for other suggestions

FYI, this workflow is now fully supported as Survey123 is no longer in beta. You can use Collector out in the field and get to a location, then click on a feature and in its pop-up, activate a form in Survey123. To learn more, see this blog post:

https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/07/30/understanding-survey123s-custom-url-sche... 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos