Use an image for tile layer in legend?

Jump to solution
10-27-2016 08:05 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We use a lot of tile layers in our web maps. The main feedback I keep getting is that our legend is confusing, as it will show something like this:

In our print maps for this project, we customize our legend for our layers to look something like this:

These are tile layers, so the content is not dynamically changing once we upload them. Is there any way to use a static image, like the one above, for these layers in the legend?

My workaround has been to remove the tile layers from the legend, and include an image and description of the layers in the information panel on Web App Builder or in story map journal -- however, this is inconvenient to users who have to click through and reference a separate panel to see this information. We have many layers that users can click on and off in our web apps, and it would be a lot nicer if we could keep our tile layers in our legend, and have them display an image like this instead. Is there any way to do this? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Adrian, 

I did find a workaround. When uploading the tiles, I changed the symbology labels in ArcMap to just text, and in the web app, added an "About" widget with the legend. The widget is set up so that it's automatically opened when a user first accesses the webmap:

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Reina,

I'm guessing this is a level of customization that exceeds what is expected in ArcGIS Online. But, I'm curious to know if you found a solution for this.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Adrian, 

I did find a workaround. When uploading the tiles, I changed the symbology labels in ArcMap to just text, and in the web app, added an "About" widget with the legend. The widget is set up so that it's automatically opened when a user first accesses the webmap:

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Nice work, I like it! Very informative and visually pleasing. (I would suggest marking your response as 'correct answer' to close out this thread).

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

gotcha, thanks! Will do!

0 Kudos