Update Email in Profile as User or Publisher

01-12-2017 09:07 AM
EmilyLee2
New Contributor III

Hello,

I wonder why an ArcGIS Online user or publisher role cannot update their own email address under their own profile page?

Also, is there a way for administrator to change the new level user role (1 or 2) at once from a list of users instead of one by one?

Thank you,

Emily

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

On the first question re: the bio info, I wonder if it because the option is turned off? (assuming this is an organizational account)

On the second question re: changing users from level 1 <> 1 ... from previous threads I believe the answer is "no", but my guess is you could move the users content, if any, to a temp user, remove them and then maybe add then invite them again?   That would be what I would try first.    Derek Law‌  might have more info or suggestions.

EmilyLee2
New Contributor III

Thank you for your quick reply, Rebecca!

I've checked the security setting, the 'allow members to edit biographical information' tab is checked.  But users/publishers still cannot edit their own email address.  I wonder if it's purposely not allowed since it's linking to the 'My Esri' account?

Moving contents for each user would be time consuming too... but thank you for the idea.

I wonder why Esri created this new role Level 1/2 when we have the 'Viewer' only role option already.  

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

re: the changing and whether being links to the "My Esri" blocks it....there are so many variable as to how these accounts are now set up...preexisting, preset, etc, that may possible have an affect is my guess.  For our org, I also setup the account (fn.lm_agency is the default) and not have users provide one....easier to keep separate from the other activities and for me to remove when they leave employment.

I wonder why Esri created this new role Level 1/2 when we have the 'Viewer' only role option already.  

Many of us have asked for a cheaper option than the full named-user option.  If cost isn't an issue and you have enough slots, I think you can leave all at level 2.  But for our agency where we have 300+ ArcGIS users but only 50 licences, and thus 50 names users, and may want non-GIS users/managers to view (non-public sites) but not work with ArcGIS Online, this should be a nice option.  I have not yet seen a price list from my rep on the level 1 costs.  Last I heard this was still being developed (but haven't checked for a couple days).

re: moving the contents....it actually is pretty easy with some of the admin tools available

Tools · Esri/ago-admin-wiki Wiki · GitHub 

How I use the tools...We have a "hold" named user that I use when users leave employment but I don't know if their content needs to be kept and transferred to another user or deleted.  I create a folder for them under this account and transfer they content...then I can delete their account account and contact others in their group.  My point being, it isn't that hard or time consuming to transfer (contacting the staff however....)

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Emily,

Administrators can change the email addresses for members in their organization. Additionally, if you have a public account you can also change your email address. Any other role will require an administrator to update the email address for the organization member. Manage profile—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Hope this helps,

-Kelly

EmilyLee2
New Contributor III

Thank you Kelly.  I am an administrator in an enterprise account.  Our agency has change our email domain, it's kind of a pain to manually change everyone's email address one by one for hundreds of them.  That's why.

0 Kudos