Update AGOL url of hosted feature layer

09-09-2019 09:31 AM
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to update the url of a hosted feature layer in AGOL that is shared on Open Data. The feature layer was originally published thru ArcMap to AGOL but I now would like to update the url with a service from our ArcGIS Server. When I look in the settings options for the hosted feature layer I don't see the option to update the url like I do with other items. I've also tried to update the registered service url using the ArcGIS Online Assistant. It lets me add in the url but when I click update and check the url it reverts back to the hosted AGOL url.

I believe because the data was originally uploaded thru ArcMap that I may need to overwrite the service thru ArcMap but I'm a bit confused on how I would now point the AGOL url to that of our ArcGIS Service url thru ArcMap. I would rather not completely remove the item from AGOL and have to re-populate all the descriptions and settings in Open Data since this is pretty time intensive and doesn't seem like it should be necessary.

Hopefully there is an easy solution I am missing.

Thanks in advance,

Kathy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Create a new MXD or Project and republish. 

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

ok, that makes sense. One thing is the person that originally published the layers from ArcMap had separate map services which I guess differs from the current ArcGIS Server rest service which has 6 layers within one map service.

In ArcGIS Pro I can just add a url for a single layer within the map service but in ArcMap when I add the rest service url I don't have the option for a specific layer and can only turn off/turn on in ArcMap. This seems problematic in overwriting the individual hosted feature layers.

Can I overwrite the hosted AGOL feature services from ArcGIS Pro if they were originally published from ArcMap or ArcMap only?  Thank-you!

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

I'm wondering if in this case if I just need to create a new content item in AGOL with our rest service and basically copy/paste the info (description and other) from the hosted AGOL layer and then delete the hosted feature service. It seems cumbersome but that is seeming like the solution in my case. Thanks

0 Kudos