Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to zoom into My Map ArcGIS.com

05-24-2010 01:52 PM
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
So, if I add a server, my server (Local), and add it as a basemap (Use as Basemap), I am able to zoom into the data, which is expected, so I then add a real basemap, I still am able to zoom into the data but I don't see my data at this time, so I then add my data via Services Add to Map, at which time, my extent zooms to full extent, and I am no longer able to zoom into the data.  I can see my data, it is drawn at this full extent, I am just unable to zoom into the county extent.

Secondary issue:

When I click details on the map and list contents I only see the Bing Maps Basemap, I do not see anything else.  I then go to Gallery via ArcGIS Home Dropdown, and then go back to My Map, I now see two instances of My data, so there appears to be a refresh issue, and going out of My Map to some other page allow me to zoom back into the data.  If I do not do this extra step, I am unable to zoom into my data after the second time I add Data, so at least there is a known workaround.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Ted,

Can you clarify this post? This is what I think you are doing...

From the Map
1. You find a layer on your local server and "Use as basemap". Everything is working fine at this point.
2. Then you add a "real basemap". How are you doing this? Are you choosing from the Basemap button on the toolbar? If so, you've just replaced your custom basemap with this new basemap. So you won't see your data anymore.
3. Then you add your layer over the basemap. Is your layer a dynamic map service or cached? What basemap are you trying to display it over?

Are your services available for me to try? I am not able to reproduce the problem you are seeing. If you could help me narrow down the problem, that would be great.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Ted,

Can you clarify this post? This is what I think you are doing...

From the Map
1. You find a layer on your local server and "Use as basemap". Everything is working fine at this point.
2. Then you add a "real basemap". How are you doing this? Are you choosing from the Basemap button on the toolbar? If so, you've just replaced your custom basemap with this new basemap. So you won't see your data anymore.
3. Then you add your layer over the basemap. Is your layer a dynamic map service or cached? What basemap are you trying to display it over?

Are your services available for me to try? I am not able to reproduce the problem you are seeing. If you could help me narrow down the problem, that would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

1.  Yes everything is ok.
2.  I am using the Basemap button and was using the Bing Aerial.
3.  Service is Dynamic and not exposed publicly, Bing Aerial

Note that yes if I use basemap it should override my originally set basemap, but see my secondary issue:

Secondary issue:

I then go to Gallery via ArcGIS Home Dropdown, and then go back to My Map, I now see two instances of My data, so there appears to be a refresh issue, and going out of My Map to some other page allow me to zoom back into the data. If I do not do this extra step, I am unable to zoom into my data after the second time I add Data, so at least there is a known workaround. 

So, even though using one of your basemaps, should override my setting for my basemap, after the refresh my service shows up twice in the Explorer TOC.

I will submit a little video showing my workflow.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Mike -

See the following location for an avi file of my workflow.

ftp://ftp.esri.com/pub/incoming/arcgis_com_mike/

upload complete.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Great video! I am able to reproduce this problem.

Thanks Ted,

Mike
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
No problem, videos are always better at explaining complex/confusing workflows/scenarios 🙂
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Just FYI Ted...

We've fixed the basemap/multiple layers appearing in TOC issue on our development servers. Thanks again for your help...it makes a difference!

Mike
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Thanks Mike.
0 Kudos