Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to upload my layer package

06-18-2010 10:02 AM
MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor
I am trying to add a layer package.  The file is approximately 250 MB.  The upload process just seems to keep rolling.  I even left it go overnight.  I came back the next morning and it had some error "invalid token".  Is there a limit to what can be uploaded to ArcGIS.com?  If so, I cannot find it. 

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
MollyZurn
Esri Contributor
You can upload items up to 1 GB in size.

See additional info at http://www.arcgis.com/help/content/account/storage.htm

-Molly
0 Kudos
MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor
Thanks Molly.  I will try it again.  😄
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi Michael,

From our side, it looks like your upload got interrupted for some reason (maybe your internet connection was lost?). I've tried to reproduce your problem here by disconnecting my computer from the web, but have not seen any error message.

Please let us know if you see this problem again.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor
Well now I am trying to reproduce the Layer Package (LPK) and it produces an error all the time. 

I had a "high spec GIS machine" running Windows 7 that produced the Layer Package before, but it was stolen over the weekend (file is gone as well).  The file it produced is posted on my profile at ArcGIS.com (not sure how to give out that link). 

I downloaded the file from my profile, but when I open it it gives me this error:
"Error Reading Interoperability Data
This dataset appears to be invalid.
Please verify your settings or file contents are correct and try again."

I have tried to re-create the LPK with 2 different Windows XP machines running ArcGIS Desktop ArcInfo 9.3.1 (one with a fresh install of 9.3 and update to 9.3.1) with no success.  I have most of the extensions available to me and turned on including Spatial Analyst and Interoperability. 

First it tells me that I will loose my relates, that's fine, I hit "ok".  Then it grinds a little and comes up with an error:
"Packaging Error
An unexpected error has occurred while creating the package.
Check your settings and try again." 

I am providing this "GIS Tool" on a CD with MXD and PMF files, but I thought I would "go green" and allow people to download it.  Can't just post the CD as a ZIP or anything because I cannot figure out the relative path stuff.  KMZ and KML files are a hassle (that's another post entirely http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/6979-MXD-Map-to-KML-tool-error). 

I am at a loss. 

I am thinking i need to submit a support request, but i need a vacation and then a cup of coffee before that.

Have a Good Weekend,
Hardcoal (Mike)
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Michael,

It would be good to get a baseline of what works. Perhaps you can try creating a layer package from a simple (small) data source and see if that works. It seems like the problem is with Desktop being able to create the layer package at all. If Desktop can't create a valid layer package, then the upload/download from ArcGIS.com won't make any difference.

Once uploaded, if you plan to share with a group, make sure you have the setting at the top of the application set to "Show: All Content" otherwise it will appear that the layer package is not getting shared with the group.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor
Mike,

Thanks for the ideas.  I tried to create layer packages with individual groups of data.  The groups had anywhere from 5-7 layers.  Some were only point shapefiles, some were a mix of polygon and line shapefiles.  They all came up with the same error. 

I tried 2 group of ArcIMS layers and they worked.  One was a set of raster images (aerial photos and topos) and the other was lines, points and polygons from an online state database. 

Not sure why this is happening.  Can ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1 package shapefiles and geodatabases into layer packages?  Or am I misunderstanding this tool? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Michael,

Perhaps you can try packaging up one layer based on one shapefile into a layer package instead of many. I was also a little confused by the inclusion of ArcIMS layers. As these layers are already services you don't really need to package them up. Creating layer packages is more about moving your data to the server.

Another idea would be to try to do this work from another machine. Maybe there is a problem with the machine you are using.

If none of these help, I'd suggest calling ESRI technical support.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor
So I uninstalled and reinstalled ArcGIS 9.3.1 and deleted normal.mxt and tried again.  Same error. 

I tried it on a colleague's computer and same error.

I have a group of shapefiles and ArcIMS layers that I want to package as a tool to evaluate abandoned mine lands in Pennsylvania.  Some layers are housed on a state wide GIS server and some i have collected.  Call it a mash up if you want. Right now it is all published to a CD, i would like to be able to post it to our website.  

I did actually produce a layer package of 1 shapefile.  Is this all it does, just one shapefile?
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Layer packages are primarily used for packaging up data, thus, it's not typically used to reference services because they don't have data in them. My suggestion to create a layer package with just one shapefile was to validate that the process does work by removing other variables that could be causing the process to fail.

So are you able to upload that layer package with one shapefile up to arcgis.com and then download it again successfully?

What other types of layers were you trying to include in your layer package?

Perhaps you can tell me what your end goal is. Are you just trying to put downloadable data on your website?

Mike
0 Kudos