Unable to add Windows 10 ZIP File as Add Item in ArcGIS Online

04-23-2019 02:16 AM
deleted-user-sNUdtFrn2yEY
New Contributor III

Hello - 

One of my colleagues computer was recently upgraded to Windows 10. We found an error when you ZIP your files in Windows 10 OS using the ZIP functionality included in Windows 10.  We are no longer able to add that WIN10 ZIP File into ArcGIS Online. When we used another machine with Windows 8.1 OS installed we zipped the same files and they were added into ArcGIS Online with no problems.

Is this a known issue?

Here is the background information on the Windows 10 machine

Windows 10 Enterprise, Version 1709, OS Build 16299.1029

ZIP included in Windows 10 Enterprise OS

Here is the background information on the Windows 8 machine

Windows 8.1 Enterprise - 2013

ZIP included in Windows 8.1 OS

1. See WIN10AGOLErrorMessage.JPG that shows the error message we get in ArcGIS Online when we add in the LowVoltageDistributionBox_WIN10 ZIP file.

2. See Esri Windows 10 vs Windows 8 Zip Question.png that shows that the four files that are included in the ZIP are highlighted, but for some reason the Windows 10 ZIP File totals only 9,972 KB where the Windows 8 ZIP File totals 12,330 KB.  

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you can provide with this question. 

Best regards,

Colleen M. Schelde

comas@orsted.dk

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Colleen Madigan Schelde‌,

(Maybe you did already solve the issue since you posted this question...?)

As far as I know it should be possible to add a zipped Shapefile to ArcGIS Online using the Windows 10 OS.

Maybe there is something wrong with your zip file - the ArcGIS Online error message mentions an 'Invalid Shapefile'.

Let's check a few things:

• Can you confirm that you can unzip the WIN10 zip file locally and open the shapefile in ArcGIS Desktop? If not, the shapefile might be corrupt...
  • Can you confirm that the WIN10 zip file does contain all the necessary files (*.shp, *.dbf, *.shx, *.prj, etc.) to make up a complete Shapefile?

Maybe you can try and use another zipping utility, like 7-Zip: https://www.7-zip.org/ (instead of the default Windows zipping functionality).

Please let us know how you proceed.

BR,

Egge-Jan

0 Kudos
deleted-user-sNUdtFrn2yEY
New Contributor III

Egge-Jan -

Thank you for your response and my apologies for taking so long to respond, but my colleague that I'm working with on this was available today to sit down and test some scenarios.

Firstly, to answer your questions:

• Can you confirm that you can unzip the WIN10 zip file locally and open the shapefile in ArcGIS Desktop? If not, the shapefile might be corrupt... NO, we are unable to because when we unzip we can only see the dbf file in ArcMap even though we can see all the files (.shp, .dbf, shx and .prj) in the Windows File Explorer view.
  • Can you confirm that the WIN10 zip file does contain all the necessary files (*.shp, *.dbf, *.shx, *.prj, etc.) to make up a complete Shapefile? YES, we can confirm that all necessary files are included in the zip.

We also tried with a totally different file that included all the necessary files (*.shp, *.dbf, *.shx, *.prj, etc.) using Windows Zip and 7-zip in Windows 10 OS and then tried to Add Content into AGOL and received the same error message. So it is not the shapefile.

See attachment in the message screen with the error message - WIN10AGOLErrorMessage.JPG that shows the error message we get in ArcGIS Online when we add in the LowVoltageDistributionBox_WIN10 ZIP file.

What I find surprising is that we have zero problems with creating Zip files that include all the necessary files (*.shp, *.dbf, *.shx, *.prj, etc.) in Windows 8 OS and then adding content into AGOL. Additionally, if you look at the file size for the WIN10 Zip versus the WIN8 Zip, they are way off. See attachment.

I hope this gives you enough information to assist us further. Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing more from you.

Kind regards,

Colleen M. Schelde

comas@orsted.dk

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

What about the .sbx file?  It's not highlighted in the image.  Is it in the Windows 8 zip file and not in the Windows 10 zip file? It is a component that needs to be present. If it's missing that would explain why you cannot correctly view the shapefile in desktop after unzipping it.

edited now that I'm back in the office:  Attached are two zip files, both created by exporting a ArcGIS 10.6.1 fgdb feature class on a Windows 10 machine.  Notice the names: one has all the files needed the other I purposely left out the .sbx.  Notice the slight size difference as well.  Try to upload them to your AGOL account....

That should just about do it....