Select to view content in your preferred language

Tools Available in AGOL Web App Filter Template

12-21-2012 08:52 AM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
To All AGOL Users and Developers:

The BasicViewer template has many tools that I find useful to create a good web app such as Print, Layers. and Measure etc., but not any ability to filter data within any of the mapservices used in the web app.

The Filter template has the ability to filter data within any of the mapservices used in the web app, but it does not have access to the tools specified above in the BasicViewer template.

Does anyone know of a way in AGOL to get a combination of all these tools into 1 template that you can build a web app from?

Any help or feedback on this topic is greatly appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
You'd have to write your own application at this point. Both templates are downloadable, so you can get the source code.

Mike
0 Kudos
RonnieRichards
Frequent Contributor
Ok in concept that might be possible but both templates do not approach the application the same way. They appear to have different authors. If you expect users to be obtain code and inject code from other templates the application approach, configuration and setup of the templates needs to be identical. Something I have yet to see between any of them.

Also recently the basic_viewer no longer appears to support being hosted outside of AGOL. Today I downloaded the basic viewer and legend and the basic viewer is throwing errors when not being hosted by AGOL. This template comes up with 404 errors and it seems to happen in this section of app.js. But if you look at Legend it does not even contain an app.js. again different authors is not going to allow users to reuse template code with easse.

line 52 (app.js)
         //Check to see if the app is hosted on arcgis.com. If the app is hosted then set the arcgisUrl to the proper environment (dev, qa, production).
              //Also set the proxy to the Arcgis.com proxy.
              //If the app isn't hosted or the user has specified a proxy url or geometry service url then use the user-defined values
0 Kudos
LucBourbousson
Deactivated User
Ok in concept that might be possible but both templates do not approach the application the same way. They appear to have different authors. If you expect users to be obtain code and inject code from other templates the application approach, configuration and setup of the templates needs to be identical. Something I have yet to see between any of them.

Couldn't agree more. Instead of one "basic" template and many very specific ones , it would be time saving to normalise all functionalities into one big , dojo oriented , "standard" template.
Users could then activate/desactivate what they need through parameter values (true/false) in index.html.

Any chance for it to happen soon?