Select to view content in your preferred language

Time Enabling Layers

02-11-2016 09:20 AM
DavidJacobs2
New Contributor II

Hi All,

I am wondering if I'm missing something in the process here.  I'll explain my overarching goal and then share the resources I've done. This may take on a few different directions to do just right. But, I'll start with the most obvious/frustrating one and then expand later into the other parts of my project.

So, I'm trying to make within ArcGIS Online, a time enabled map that shows a response over time to climatic change in a very simple way. Basically the same base layer will have a few polygons that change from green to yellow at different time periods.

What I can say is that It worked in desktop by simply time enabling the data layers and symbolizing accordingly.  However, I've tried moving this into ArcGIS online as a feature service, geodatabase and even the shape files and yet cannot find any indication of a where to go time enabled layer. When I look at this documentation found here Configure time settings—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS  I have no option like it indicates to enable time settings. Why would this be? Are there other steps I'm missing?  The picture attached shows my only options.

We have an organizational account and I'm the administrator so all publishing privileges should be there.  Do I actually have to publish the layers some how before the settings are  able to be enabled?

Any help is welcome!

Thanks,

Dave

20 Replies
DavidJacobs2
New Contributor II

This is possible to do without a server license?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Yes, you are publishing a service to ArcGIS Online, not ArcGIS Server.  The service will be create and hosted using your ArcGIS Online Organization.

0 Kudos
DavidJacobs2
New Contributor II

Got it in there!

Now I gotta troubleshoot and see if I can make it into a time aware web map to fit into a story map.

Thanks for all your help!

For organizations sake, I'm going to start another thread on some of those issues should they arise!

Cheers,

Dave

0 Kudos
DavidJacobs2
New Contributor II

Greetings all!

So, I followed your instructions Jake Skinner​ and was not able to get it to show any time data. It's time enabled in desktop and I simply shared that directly from desktop. What could I possibly be doing wrong? I'm wondering, if I can achieve the same result I'm going for by just embedding the video of the avi file into my story map journal? Would that achieve a similar result. It would not enable the end viewer of the map to have as much control over the time intervals but still convey a message I'm wanting..

First option is to get the layers to be time enabled on ArcGIS online. If not perhaps an exported video file from arcgis desktop into a story map journal will be a second best option!

Regards,

Dave

0 Kudos
Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

Have you tried adding the time-enabled web layer to the map viewer? When you do that, you should see the time slider at the bottom of the map, and there's a gear icon to access the time settings.

0 Kudos
DavidJacobs2
New Contributor II

Yes,

I have tried adding it to both a new and old map. I also don't see anything in the rest services section about a time aware section. As identified in this tutorial here----Configure time settings—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS  in the verification process.  So, hence my wondering what I could be doing wrong in the export settings. I just don't understand how it could be a hosted service and not reproduce what's on the desktop. In addition, if I import it in as a zipped shapefile the problem still exists. Yet, when I view in desktop I have an animation.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

David,

Is this service shared with Everyone?  If so, can you provide the URL to the ArcGIS Online hosted service, or the REST URL?

0 Kudos
DavidJacobs2
New Contributor II

I will do that now!

That was going to be my next course of action anyway. It should be live in a little bit.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
DavidJacobs2
New Contributor II

All,

It should be live here

http://tiles.arcgis.com/tiles/nBh07mq0SMCuxTd7/arcgis/rest/services/MyMapService/MapServer

Let me know if that doesn't work

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

I think the issue is you created a Tiled service.  I believe you can only enable time on feature services.  Try republishing the layer with 'Feature Access' rather than Tiled Mapping:

Screen1.PNG

0 Kudos