The right choice?

Jump to solution
03-05-2019 11:01 AM
DaveTenney
Occasional Contributor III

All,

I was hoping to maybe get some insight from other users who may have encountered this same situation...

we are in a project with 50 different end users who will need to see a dataset that is unique to their own location and these datasets would be updated periodically. has anyone tried somehow organize 50 different groups within AGOL for these individuals to see their own results and no one else's?

I really like the ease of use when it comes to AGOL vs other solutions, especially for those with not a lot of GIS background, but it seems like an upfront organizational nightmare with that many different datasets.

thanks in advance

dave

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Dave, 

With needing the datasets private (to anyone besides the intended viewer) and needing others outside of your organization needing access, I think you are on the right track with using groups! This will allow you to be organized and allow proper constraints without sacrificing any privacy.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MichaelSchoelen1
New Contributor II

Is there a problem with these users just holding the content in their own user folder? This would allow for the privacy you are looking for with no extra steps. 

0 Kudos
DaveTenney

not 100% if that would work as all the end users would be outside of our organizational account...

my original thought is creating the individual groups and then inviting them into each respective group.

dave

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Dave, 

With needing the datasets private (to anyone besides the intended viewer) and needing others outside of your organization needing access, I think you are on the right track with using groups! This will allow you to be organized and allow proper constraints without sacrificing any privacy.

KhaledHassen
Esri Contributor

Our clients normally use feature service views to organize data that can be viewed by different users.

So you would end up with one or more source data and then you create a view for each user. Each view would have a filter that define with this user can see.

When the source data gets updated, all views will be updated for you.

Not sure if this is something that fits your project requirement but it is worth mentioning.

Pl. let me know if you would like any help or info about views.

Thanks

Khaled Hassen

Online Feature Service Development Lead

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Esri Staff, in situations like this, it would be a great feature to be able to nest groups within groups. Creating 50 groups and migrating users to those is not a very practical solution.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Steve, 

I can see how this could be useful functionality for your organization. I highly recommend you take a look at the Ideas page and post this to see if this could help others out as well! 

DaveTenney

I couldn't agree more with this recommendation!

currently, there is no clean organizational structure within AGOL, yes its great to add groups but like in my situation i need multiple groups that fall within a master group. I have groups for other projects that will now be lumped in with 50+ other groups and will just make it hard to navigate between them all.

I'm not sure if this exists or not, I haven't seen it anywhere, but it would be nice to be able to create groups in a batch process. in my case, all the groups will have the same settings, just different names. I personally feel like there has been a lot of "fluff" added to AGOL lately (just my 2 cents), I think its time for some great organizational updates to take AGOL to the next level.

dave

0 Kudos