Symbols not showing at all for uploaded layer after editing in Python

07-17-2020 05:43 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am relatively new to ArcGIS Online. My goal is to take this layer from the EIA on Power Plants and combine it with this layer of US County polygons to hopefully visualize the percentage of energy generation from renewable sources in each county, among other learning exercises.

I figured out that I couldn't create fields in Living Atlas layers so then I uploaded the shapefile I downloaded directly from the EIA to host it myself. Then I realized that I couldn't easily create the fields that I wanted so I used the GeoPandas library in Python to make my desired fields. I then uploaded the edited shapefile as a layer to my map here. The layer that says "Cleaned" is mine, "PowerPlants US EIA" is the shapefile directly from the EIA, and "Power Plants in the U.S." is from the Living Atlas. I cannot figure out why any symbols generated from the layer built from my edited shapefile will not show up on the map. After this I'll have to figure out how to take features from the edited layer and the US Counties layer to then create a new layer, but I think I might be able to figure that out (guidance or resources would still be appreciated). 

If it helps, here is my Python code in a Google Colab notebook that I used to edit the shapefile. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I found the solution! When I exported the files from my Colab Notebook, I had noticed there were fewer files than the original zip, so I added the original files that were missing. This must have messed things up. I recreated the cleaned zip file without adding any files not created by my notebook and uploaded it to my map. It works! Now on to creating a new layer....

0 Kudos