Select to view content in your preferred language

Super noob: Best GIS solution(s) for this goal

10-05-2022 05:13 PM
a_gunslinger
Emerging Contributor

VERY new to GIS.  Started with ArcGIS.  Now using QGIS and experimenting with Google maps as well.  Here is my task.  We have an alumni map that was created long ago in Adobe Illustrator that shows all the alumni that have graduated from ou program over last 20 yrs and where they are now.  In Illustrator it was bascially adding a new marker to the appropriate location on a vector map.  

This map gets printed as a 5x8' poster annually showing our gradtuates in continental US.  Im looking to automate this using a spreadsheet with the alumni first job coordinates placed on a US map.  Works pretty well in QGIS.  So the autmoation on geo location done. But getting it to our print format/styl/design is problematic.  However, our end goals are:

1.  Only show US locations, so single map of US.
  2.  Being able to export is as a high resolution graphic for a printer
  3.  Customize the look.

Struggling with them all, but slowly getting the hang of styls and cosmetics.

So my gestalt questions are:

1.  Am I using the wrong tool for the job (ie using complex javasript programmming when all I need is a caluclator)
  2.  Better ways or tools to accomplish this?

Interesting slant: in trying to larn and accomplish this Im interested enough to learn more if I can.  I wouldnt mind using a tool that is a complex tool requiring much learning.  Unfortunately, my timeline will not allow that easily.   So if I can save time learnign about other/better tools to use, and to weed out tools and approaches that wont work - that would really help.

Any and all input welcome.  Appreciate the patience.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
a_gunslinger
Emerging Contributor

Thanks for Tableua suggestion.  I will try that out.  Looks promising unless you can just show US.