Subtypes in Web App Builder Smart Editor Widget?

11-04-2018 04:39 PM
CM1
by
New Contributor II

Are subtypes supported in WAB's Smart Editor Widget.  I am thinking not based on the fact that my tests are not working (using a Feature Service with subtypes from ArcGIS Server 10.5.1) but did not see anything explicitly in the docs about it.  

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thank you.  

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

I just created this quick sample with subtypes with the smart editor widget:

ArcGIS Web Application 

Are you able to share your service or web map? What is the error that you are seeing?

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS

CM1
by
New Contributor II

Thanks Kelly!  Your example helped a lot.  So, I think what my issue was is that I did not symbolize my features based on the subtype field. 

Here is what the widget forms look like without subtype symbolization:

Neither the Habitat type (the subtype field) nor the Species field (the coded values for that subtype) have drop downs as I would expect they would. 

If I symbolize the feature service categorically though using the Subtypes I get this:

Which has the drop downs as expected (and matches the way you have your example set up). 

So I guess then my question would be: Do you have to symbolize by subtype in order to get the drop down subtype/coded value functionality in the widget (and wouldn't this only limit you to one subtype field per feature service)?  Or is there maybe something else I may be missing that is causing this behavior?

Thank you!

NickBudros
New Contributor II

Arcgis Online can only handle one level of symbology unless the second level us a number field.

0 Kudos
KeithGerhartz1
Occasional Contributor II

Kelly, 

Do you know the answer to this question previously reaised?

"Do you have to symbolize by subtype in order to get the drop down subtype/coded value functionality in the widget (and wouldn't this only limit you to one subtype field per feature service)?"

I would like to symbolize a layer with subtypes using a single symbol. I want the editor to default to a specific subtype but allow the user to change the subtype using the combo box. I have not found a way to do this. It appears that one must symbolize using catagories based on the subtype field in order for the combobox to populate. 

Also, I would like to limit the available subtypes base on a definition query. Is this possible? In other words, a layer may have 10 substypes. I want to define the layer to include only 3 and populate the combobox with only those three.

Thanks in advance for your help.