SidebarContent value not in Single Pane web app template

07-04-2012 03:46 PM
ClemHenriksen
New Contributor II
Hi,

I am following the directions in the excellent readme.html file that downloads with the Story Telling - Side Panel web app template. I have made a number of successful edits by following the directions in the readme.html and have been able to see the results using a local web server.

I have run into a problem in the section titled 'Use HTML to create sidebar content'. Step 1 reads:

Before creating the HTML content for the sidebar, you will need to tell the application that you want to create custom content rather than using the map's description. In this section you will create a list of hyperlinks to other sites. Open index.html in a text editor and set the sidebarContent value to custom.

sidebarContent = "custom";

Problem: I have not been able to find this text in index.html. I made several stabs at working around setting this variable with no luck. I searched the entire Main folder for the string 'sidebarContent' and found it referenced in doc, but not in code.

My intent is to put custom HTML in the sidebar. Am I missing something?

thanks and happy 4th
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ClemHenriksen
New Contributor II
hi,

next day addition/correction:

template I used is One Pane, not Storytelling Single Pane. Too many fireworks ...

I attach a zip of the app packaged in a Main folder as it is when downloaded. This version has my edits. Named OnePane.zip.

I am using IIS for testing.

At this time, you will see that I have added
sidebarContent = "custom";
to the config section of index.html, I get a blank page with my custom HTML--the text 'Test'.
If the sidebarContent setting is removed, you get the page with my other customizations showing. the odd thing is, as it loads, the word 'Test' flickers on and off in the sidebar.
0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor
You don't need to specify 'custom' for this particular template in order to define content for the sidebar area. In the index.html file if you specify content for the description config option then it will display that text in the sidebar. Currently it's set to display 'This is the text that goes in the <b>left pane</b>'.

Here's an updated version of your zip that removes the 'custom' attribute and displays the custom content in the left pane. I also adjusted the css in the seaside.css file so that your custom text in the header ('Text from SBSun') fit better.

Kelly
0 Kudos
ClemHenriksen
New Contributor II
thanks.

it works for me now. I was thrown off by the misleading directions in readme.html.
0 Kudos
C_EHoward
Occasional Contributor III
This problem is over a year old and yet the README file still has this wrong information- if this 'custom' value is not needed in the index.html, why is the README supplied still saying it is? I have the same trouble as the original poster and that is how I found this thread....and see that I am not crazy and that the documentation we are supposed to follow is not right.

I have found that these README files for the viewers are really not very helpful. Is there any correct and complete documentation on how to customize a web map app viewer downloaded from ArcGIS Online? I am not trying to tricky stuff- I want to add logos and custom text. The READMEs for most viewers are not very helpful
0 Kudos