Sharing Maps Outside of Organization

Jump to solution
05-07-2013 08:09 AM
KristinAldous
New Contributor II
I am new to using ArcGIS online, so I hope you'll excuse this rather simple question.

I am trying to share my newly created map with non-GIS users.  I've used ArcGIS Online for uploading my data, and configured pop-ups in ArcGIS Explorer(different formatting of graphs). 

When I go to share my map in either ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Explorer Online as a URL link I am redirected to the sign-in page of ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Explorer Online.  Map is shared as public.  I am able to share the map as HTML embeded in a webpage, however only if I use ArcGIS Online to grab the HTML tag.  This would be fine however I lose my graph formatting.  Using the HTML tag from ArcGIS Explorer Online will again ask me to sign-in before viewing the map.

Is there a way to share my map directly by URL (or HTML), keep my ArcGIS Explorer Online formatting, and not have to ask my client to create an ArcGIS Online account or join my organization?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I suspect your organization website in ArcGIS Online has disabled anonymous access. Thus, when someone tries to access the web map through your org URL, they get challenged to sign in. When you share the link, are you simply copying the URL in the address bar? Can you share the URL to your web map? There are options to generate a link, like from the share button when viewing the map.

Alternatively, just replace your org URL with the public site url... So, where you see http://orgname.maps.arcgis.com..., just replace the "orgname.maps" part with "www"

Thanks,

Mike

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I suspect your organization website in ArcGIS Online has disabled anonymous access. Thus, when someone tries to access the web map through your org URL, they get challenged to sign in. When you share the link, are you simply copying the URL in the address bar? Can you share the URL to your web map? There are options to generate a link, like from the share button when viewing the map.

Alternatively, just replace your org URL with the public site url... So, where you see http://orgname.maps.arcgis.com..., just replace the "orgname.maps" part with "www"

Thanks,

Mike
KristinAldous
New Contributor II
Thanks so much for your reply.

Found the setting for anonymous access. I just tried to access using the www. replacement and this works fine however does not load the base maps (perhaps just very slow?).  This is not really important for my map, just curious.

Thanks again!
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Do you have some custom basemaps?

Perhaps if you can share the URL to your web map, I can look.

Thanks

Mike
0 Kudos
KristinAldous
New Contributor II
Just the standard topographic map.

Here's the link:
www.arcgis.com/explorer/?open=772d9d302d2949db997568aae86819b9
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I can see that the basemap doesn't load. It seems like a bug. If I select it again from the basemap list, it displays.

As an alternative, you open the map in the arcgis.com website.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=772d9d302d2949db997568aae86819b9

FYI, ArcGIS Explorer Online is in the Mature Phase of a product life cycle, which means it is not actively being developed and no new releases.

http://downloads.esri.com/support/product%20life%20cycle/server_gis/ArcGISExplorer_PLC.pdf

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MichaelLohr
Occasional Contributor II
Looks like you solved this one but here is another thought related to it.

We often build custom maps for agencies that are not public maps and frequently have issues getting outside organizational accounts successfully added to the proper Map Group. There are usually 2 settings that can be a problem. One is the Organizational Security setting that Mike referred to where you allow sharing with outside your organization (in our case we don't allow anonymous access). The other setting is in the ESRI profile for the target user, sometimes they will have that set to be not discoverable, and so it prevents you from "finding" them in the database to send the Invite to join the group.

I also heard that the Explorer version will go away in the summer update but that the functionality will be built into the standard viewer. If you used the Presentation functionality, that is replaced by the ESRI for Office application, and won't be built into the Online Viewer.