Sharing a web app, web map, and feature layer to the public, but preventing the ability for end-users to download the data for use offline?

04-06-2022 08:07 AM
N_W_S_E
New Contributor III
I have a Web App that I am sharing to the public, but as far as I know, I also have to share the web map and feature layer to the public as well. 

This is concerning, because as you know, if data is available to the public, then anyone can use it.

I work in government, and we want to start to display different web apps on our website, but we only want end-users to be able to view the data without having access to the data. I tried following this article to prevent viewers from being able to download the data, but then on the public facing app, it prompts for a ArcGIS Online sign-in.

Is there a way that I can share a web app to the public but prevent the ability to download the data for offline use? A simple search in ArcGIS Online (without even needing to sign in) can give someone the ability to download the data.
6 Replies
BrianHovis
Occasional Contributor II

Hello I have a hosted featured layer on ArcGis Online in an Organization account and in settings I have the option of making the data available to the public.  Sorry if I have missed the intent of your post. 

BrianHovis_0-1649261670275.png

0 Kudos
N_W_S_E
New Contributor III

I'm more so talking about going to the ArcGIS Online homepage, searching for the content, and being able to download the feature layer to use offline in ArcGIS Pro/Map. Or they could go to my profile on ArcGIS Online and see all the items that I have shared publicly and download from there.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

If I share a hosted feature layer to the public, but, uncheck the "Allow others to export to different formats" box in the item Details settings page, then the public can view the data, but the option to export data is not there.

RhettZufelt_0-1649266227727.png

RhettZufelt_1-1649266302516.png

However, when I log in as a user with credentials, the full list of options show:

RhettZufelt_3-1649266376558.png

R_

N_W_S_E
New Contributor III

You can still open in ArcGIS Desktop and export the data into a file geodatabase. Or they could go to my profile on ArcGIS Online and see all the items that I have shared publicly and download from there

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

In that case, all you have to do is follow the link you provided exactly, and the data will only be visible/useable in the Web App it was set up for.

Pay attention to step 1.  If the layer is shared publicly BEFORE you create the second layer, this process doesn't work as described.

From what I can tell, the only way to access the data now is with the defined Web App.

I see it still gives option to view in ArcGIS Desktop, but if you try it will fail to add data.

R_

I don't want to post here, but will direct message you a couple links (to App and "second" dataset) so you can test what I did, and see if you can get to the data itself.

Would be interested in hearing if you were successful.

0 Kudos
N_W_S_E
New Contributor III

I just got this now! The content in the links you sent in the direct messages have since been deleted.

0 Kudos