Server REST layer's drawing info different than symbology on web map

05-05-2022 10:33 AM
JordanDavis2
New Contributor II

I need to update the symbology for a web map I have published to my portal, and I was having trouble doing that. I checked the Server REST endpoint for the layer I need to symbolize and I noticed it already had the changes I wanted to make, but they were not reflected in the symbology of the web map. I suspect it is related to editing the symbology on the layer in the portal map viewer and saving the layer visualization there.

I want to change the layer symbology shown on the web. I can attach screen shots of the REST drawing layer information and the symbology on the Map Viewer to show they are different if needed.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You're correct. When the map has its own symbology settings, it overrides / ignores any changes made to the default settings in the REST endpoint.

To reset your layer to take the defaults, AGOL has a button in the new map viewer.

jcarlson_0-1651772421612.png

On Portal, you'll need to edit the JSON of the map to remove its symbology settings for the layer.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
JordanDavis2
New Contributor II

Thank you, I'm glad I'm on the right track. I cant seem to find the menu above however. You have the map open, under layer properties, information? Also, I think you have different buttons than I do on the right hand pane, although I dont know if that would make a difference.

I'll keep poking around, thanks again.

0 Kudos
Kevin_Peel
New Contributor II

On the new Map Viewer:

1. Select the layer so that the icons on the right side are enabled
  2. Click on the Properties icon on the right side (top icon)
  3. Expand the Information drawer
  4. At the bottom of the drawer, press the Manage layer properties button to open the menu that was shown by Josh.
  5. think you then need to press the Save button a little above the Manage layer properties button to have it write to the service, but I'm not sure.

I think that should do what you're hoping...

0 Kudos