Server Map Interaction

06-10-2019 12:03 PM
DanielZuercher
New Contributor

When you share a service to your online server, should you be able to interact with the map? Or does that map have to be opened in ArcGIS Online to be interacted with? 

Currently when I share a service to my online server, I can only view the map and zoom in and out. I am looking to be able to click on an item and have it give me a popup of that items data. 

Overall I am trying to share a map of all the trees in our arboretum that gives data on common name, botanical name, size, etc. for our arboretum website, so that users can find out about specific trees and create tours. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Are you publishing a hosted service or to your own ArcGIS Server? I any feature services, (such as a hosted service), or feature layers within a service have popups enabled by default. If you're adding an entire map service to the map, popups need them to be enabled manually:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/create-maps/configure-pop-ups.htm

0 Kudos
DanielZuercher
New Contributor

Jonathan, 

We are publishing the service from our ArcGIS desktop application to our own online ArcGIS Server. 

I am wondering if we even need to do that? Is it possible to share a map from the desktop to a website without going through an online server? 

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

You need to create a service from it, whether that's your own internal ArcGIS Server as a traditional service, or ArcGIS Online/ArcGIS Enterprise as a hosted service.

In short, if the URL has "MapServer" in it, you need to manually configure popups. If it has "FeatureServer" in it, then they should be enabled by default.

0 Kudos