search by extent

Jump to solution
09-07-2018 02:21 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Search by extent does not work. I had it set to search ArcGIS Online in the webmap Add Data and limited to map extent. I was using it for a class I am teaching as an example of using ArcGIS Online and things from around the world were coming up when I was zoomed to my county in Georgia. Not much to test. Happened on various machines and browsers, latest versions. No other layers had been loaded. Anyone else seeing that?  Without limiting to extent, a massive amount of irrelevant layers from around the globe overwhelm the search result list.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Scott Harris‌ this is still an issue. It was awkward explaining to my class. It's a GIS, it 'knows' the max. actual spatial extent of every layer, and AGOL should spatial index itself on the backend. Why can't it filter out any data that isn't in the current extent regardless of whether it is authoritative? I get all kinds of layers that are not in my county when I search for basically anything. It makes the Search almost useless particularly for casual users, they find it very confusing. The extent filter button should probably not be hidden in Filter I would add - I'd put it in its own blazingly noticeable button right in the main search pane. Maybe even On by default?

I am really glad to see the word 'extent' says 'content within map area'.  I always re-write those strings in WAB to say exactly this. Would be a good terminology to use company-wide on public-facing interfaces. 

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Kevin,

I think this goes back to what I originally mentioned about the search accounts for the "Extent" property that is set on the Item Details page. If you have an example of a layer that shouldn't show up in a particular search, I can try to dig a bit more into it.

-Scott

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Let's say I search for "stadiums" in Savannah, GA. Things show up. We don't have an NFL stadium. Why does it show content from users? If it's a point layer for example, and there are no stadium points for hundreds of miles. AGOL should spatially index and know extents. Not what Details might say but the real physical max envelope of data. If there are no stadium points ... I propose users shouldn't see the layers there to add though. Now, perhaps for a point layer, yes maybe we are in the envelope. Sure, there are points all around me, let's say.  But, let's consider this. If the point can't be seen in the current map extent or perhaps a buffer of half the screen width or of say, a hundred miles... why show them as options. Until they're zoomed out and can see the data. Trust me, users find this confusing, and essentially they give up on using AGOl to search for data.  I don't know the exact solution except to say that the way it is currently, doesn't work.  

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Kelly Gerrow

Kevin is noticing the following behavior when searching for items and setting an extent filter:

1. In a web map, zoom in to Savannah, Georgia USA.
  2. Add > Search for layers.
  3. Set the filter to "only show content within map area".
  4. Search for "stadiums".
  5. The top result is this item: https://arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=eb3d7b273ed5418882be29e9b4148d46. The closest point in that layer is ~130 miles away from Savannah.

I am guessing the particular item is returned in the above example because its Extent property is set to the entire US.

Do you know if this is the expected behavior of Search? Perhaps this is a known limit of Search at the moment?

I don't think there is currently a way to only include layers that intersect the current map's extent like Kevin is requesting. NOTE: In the documentation, we have the following note "All layers that overlap your current map extent (and match your keywords) are returned." - Add layers to maps—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Thanks!

Scott