Same application to 250 users with their own data

04-28-2021 05:41 AM
OfraAi
by
New Contributor III

Hello,

I have 250 users from different cities. I want to give them an app to update their own data.

I want each user to view and update only his own data.

How can I do it, other then creating 250 * {layer-views, maps, apps, groups}?

I allready have 250 usernames.

Thanks in advance.

Ofra

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check out the Editor Tracking settings on feature layers.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/manage-hosted-feature-layers.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_0...

You can turn on the setting so that editors can only see and edit their own data.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
OfraAi
by
New Contributor III

Thanks Josh for your answer.

My situation is a more complex.

First I use ArcGIS Server with SDE for the services and data storage, and not ArcGIS Online. Then I add the service REST end point to ArcGIS Online as an item with one server username, So all users are the same from the server side, and I cannot identify each one.

And, if I thought to keep this layer in ArcGIS Online, I create all features, and want each city to update their data if needed.

I would appreciate more ideas.

Ofra

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Oh, that is more complex. The single server-side user makes it tricky, too. If you had a list of cities, you might be able to script out the creation of all the views, maps, groups, etc., though it seems like a lot just to accomplish a simple-seeming goal.

Is there a chance you could use a hosted layer on the AGOL side for users to update, then use a script to keep the SDE layer and the hosted layer synced?

Or perhaps you could utilize versioning on the service to ensure that users aren't performing edits outside of their intended area? Though that might involve some manual checking, or at least another script.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
OfraAi
by
New Contributor III

Hi,

I can manage having the layer hosted on the AGOL side and sync it to my SDE.

If made some trial and it does work, that each user can see and update only his own features.

The only problem left is how do I set the initial features that I've created, as if the city user has created them. I cannot update the "Editor" or "creator" column.

Any other trick?

Thanks in advance

Ofra

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I know making direct SQL edits to an SDE table is a no-no, but could you update the editor columns from an SQL client like pgAdmin or similar?

I would test this on a copy first, to make sure it doesn't break anything.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
OfraAi
by
New Contributor III

I thought it would be great, but it didn't work.

I've created feature layer in SDE, with "enable editor tracking" and updated the value of created user and last updated user as the AGOL test user name to be the owner (using SSMS).

Then I've published the layer to AGOL as hosted feature layer.

I've defined "Enable editing" and "Keep track of who created and last updated features" was automatically checked.

But, the created and last edited user changed to the user who published the layer... all features with the same user.

By the way, I've tried to update one feature using my test user, so created user was the publishing one, and last edited was the test user.

Then I've defined "Editors can only see their own features" and the test user didn't see those features. That means that each user can see only the features that he has created by himself.

😞

Any other idea.

Thanks anyway for you help

Ofra

0 Kudos