Restrict editing to authorized users while leaving the map viewable to the public

11-21-2013 04:43 AM
BrettGreenfield__DNR_
Occasional Contributor II
I've created a service that will be made available to the public which expects to see fairly regular updates.  Unfortunately, now that I've created the dataset it's leaving my hands, and the group that plans on making the updates doesn't have anyone with ArcMap on their computer, thus any updates would have to go through an ArcGIS Online map.  I know I can configure a service to allow editing, but my concern is that ANYONE (with the know-how) could also edit the service and make unwanted changes.  I also know I can allow access only to a private group, but then the public can't view the service.

Is there a way to limit the editing capabilities to certain people, while keeping the service viewable to the public?  I was thinking there might be a way to create a separate version of the service with editing capabilities, open it to a private group, and synch the public version of the service to the private version, but I'm not sure if that's possible.
Tags (2)
47 Replies
MichaelKelly
Occasional Contributor III

Ah I see you shared this already in the thread above - I didn't notice it.

I was thinking more along the lines of using it in an app like Crowdsource Manager or Geoform where you didn't want users to see records added by other users. The limit usage part of this as you have come across causes problems with printing.

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

This scenario is now supported with the latest update to ArcGIS Online. Learn more about hosted feature layer views here...Create hosted feature layer views—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Mike

YovavZohar1
Occasional Contributor III

At last - A proper solution in the right direction

0 Kudos
TracyGarrison1
New Contributor II

Mike, am I missing something?  There are all sorts of ways to restrict what an anonymous user may or may not do now.  But there still is not a way, at least that I can see, that you can let your signed in "allowed to edit  users" to  add new features without allowing anonymous users to do the same.  Why can't there just be a simple choice like Only users of this group are allowed to edit"?  See below If I want my editors to be able to add, update or delete, then my only choice is that the anonymous editors can only add new features (see last line of options).  I don't want THEM to be able to do any type of updating period.

• What kind of editing is allowed?

• What features can editors see?
• What features can editors edit?
• What access do anonymous editors (not signed in) have?
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Tracy Garrison

Hosted feature layer views (view layers) provide the ability you want. Effectively, you are creating a copy of the layer that points to the same data source. This is analogous to how layers work in ArcMap, for example. In this case, the view layer doesn't contain the data, but references it. The link to Help I provided in my previous post explains what view layers are.

We could have implemented editing controls on the layer, the way you're describing above, as another editing property. But view layers allow you to do that and much more. For example, with a view layer, not only can you disable editing of the data, but you can change how the layer is drawn or the popup information displayed. The layer can be fully configured for a different audience.

Hope this makes sense.

Mike

RandyBurton
MVP Alum

Are there any tutorials or samples that would show how to set up views?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Randy,

The link I posted above describes how to create one. I don't know if there are other tutorials.

Once you have one, it essentially works the same as any hosted layer you've been working with already (with a few caveats). You can configure its drawing, share it with groups, enable editing--all independently from the source layer it's created from.

TracyGarrison1
New Contributor II

Mike, Thank you.  I knew I had to be overlooking something.

0 Kudos